Steering box adjustment

phil p

Good evening, ladeez and gents, I am new to this forum. I own a 200TDi Disco, 1994, which I have had for four years or so. I am after a bit of advice to do with the steering box. Recently, the steering has become a little vague, and wandery, if you see what I mean. I have checked out the various linkages and there is no obvious play. The steering damper is fine, (have detached and checked it, works as normal, as far as i can tell. I did a bit more checking today, and there is quite a bit of play between the steering column and the drop arm, which suggests that the play is possibly in the box.

I am aware that there is a certain amount of adjustment in the steering box. I would like to know what exactly the adjustment is, if that makes sense? What is adjusted? I take it the adjustment medium is the Allen headed socket with the locknut on the top face of the box.

I obviously don't want to replace the steering box unless I have to, if its a case of adjusting up slack, as it were, so info would be useful at this stage.

CHeers people.

Phil

Welcome :)

Have you checked the shaft from the bottom of the steering column to the box? These can come loose and the splines wear. There is usually a "clonk" in the steering if you rock the wheel from side to side with the engine off.

Welcome :)

Have you checked the shaft from the bottom of the steering column to the box? These can come loose and the splines wear. There is usually a "clonk" in the steering if you rock the wheel from side to side with the engine off.

No, in fairness, I haven't, other than a visual check. When you say they come loose, is that internally? What would be really good is an exploded diagram of the steering box. Now I wonder if I can find one of then on t'internet???

Ta

No it is the splines where the UJ's mate with the shaft going into the steering box, and at the top end, where they mate with the bottom of the steering column. Mine came loose on the 90, twice, at the bottom of the steering column. You can see the UJ's in the engine bay.

To be honest if it is an internal box fault then I'd get a recon exchange one, most people who attempt DIY repair end up doing that anyway! An exchange unit is less than a couple of hundred I think so not the end of the world and likely to make a big difference to steering anyway.