Ignition wiring problem

alex park

i have a 98 3.9V8i which has been converted for LPG.

very recently the car was running happily on LPG then without warning switched to petrol.(this doen'st normally happen automatically).

then all the lights on the LPG gauge went out but the car still ran on petrol.

When i stopped the car i tried to start it again but it wouldn't start on either petrrol or lpg, the starter turned the engine over fine but there was no fuelling.

the problem was diagnosed by the AA as a faulty wire from a solenoid which switched the injectors between petrol and LPG. he replaced this and it ran fine.

however a short time later i was running on petrol and switched over to GAS this imediatly stopped the engine and the car coasted to a halt.

this time there was no power between the fuse box in the drivers footwell and the ignition coil.

We managed a temporary fix of wiring the coil direct from the battery which helped get me home, but i'm stuck as to where to go from here.

All the ignition lights come on with the turn of the key as per usual, and i can hear the relay in the passenger footwell when i turn the key fully as if to start the car.

Anyone any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Alex

Download RAVE and use the wiring diagrams included.

The problems are probably all from the same source, the wiring extension for the LPG kit most likely uses the ign switched supply from F3 Satellite fusebox and is possibly overloading that distribution. This also feeds the coil.

jw

Also check if your car has an LPG ignition advance processor,I have seen these fail and give no spark at all.The last one I saw even had an alternative position for its multiplug - to provide emergency running,seemed like an admission of failure to me !

i had thought that this problem may have something to do with the SPIDER having read the tutorial provided in the FAQ section.

That would explain the faults all from one place.

Where abouts is the F3 Fusebox?

thanks

Alex

The fuse box beneath the steering wheel is in three parts, top is fusebox Satellite 1, then the main fusebox, finally the bottom section is Satellite 2.

F3 Satellite 1 is the top section, Red for 10 Amp rating, third from the right and probably labelled Engine Management.

This info all comes from the Discovery Owners Manual section of Rave, well worth downloading.

jw