Range rover classic cruise control, or lack of!

Can anyone help me???

A while ago (about 6 months!) I was having electrical problems with my '94 3.9 v8 range rover, this lead me to testing all my relays, rather stupidly I did this by just putting 12v across the coils, this was fine until I pulled one relay from under the steering column; a pop and a puff of smoke ensued, when I took it apart there was a lot more than just a relay in there and I'd fried some of the tracks on the board.

I plugged it back in to see if it would work but nothing, except a click when I tried to activate my cruise control from the steering wheel switches, since then my cruise control hasn't worked, not surprisingly!

Here's where it gets interesting, it was a black box about 2"x1"x1" with hella, a part number and a massive word, probably 25 letters long in german on it. I translated it to something like "speed limit-very expensive", anyway I couldn't find one so I took it to my local hella dealer who told me they didn't know what it was but they'd find me one. I went in a week later and they'd lost it, nor had they got me one!

So now I don't know what it exactly was, what it did, or where to get one from to replace it. I've been to various shows etc and simply cant find one. I'm now missing my cruise control more than ever and NEED one.

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this at all?????

Can anyone help me???

A while ago (about 6 months!) I was having electrical problems with my '94 3.9 v8 range rover, this lead me to testing all my relays, rather stupidly I did this by just putting 12v across the coils, this was fine until I pulled one relay from under the steering column; a pop and a puff of smoke ensued, when I took it apart there was a lot more than just a relay in there and I'd fried some of the tracks on the board.

I plugged it back in to see if it would work but nothing, except a click when I tried to activate my cruise control from the steering wheel switches, since then my cruise control hasn't worked, not surprisingly!

Here's where it gets interesting, it was a black box about 2"x1"x1" with hella, a part number and a massive word, probably 25 letters long in german on it. I translated it to something like "speed limit-very expensive", anyway I couldn't find one so I took it to my local hella dealer who told me they didn't know what it was but they'd find me one. I went in a week later and they'd lost it, nor had they got me one!

So now I don't know what it exactly was, what it did, or where to get one from to replace it. I've been to various shows etc and simply cant find one. I'm now missing my cruise control more than ever and NEED one.

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this at all?????

Hi, I got a big boxful of RRC relays off ebay recently. Some appear as you describe ...Hella, 2" X1" x1", etc.

If you give me all the stuff written on yours, I'll have a look and see if I've got one. Can't promise that there'll be one but it must be worth a try.

Cheers, Bob

Hi, I got a big boxful of RRC relays off ebay recently. Some appear as you describe ...Hella, 2" X1" x1", etc.

If you give me all the stuff written on yours, I'll have a look and see if I've got one. Can't promise that there'll be one but it must be worth a try.

Cheers, Bob

Just read your post again and see thet you lost yours at the Hella dealer so you probably won't have the part Nos etc..

I'll have a look anyway.

Bob

Hi again,

I've found 2 Hella " relays" in my box of bits.

Markings are Hella, 12V, 5WD005052-00, Streuscheiben - Reinigungs - Steuergerat

Babelfish translates this to "Tinted windshields - cleaning - taxturn out"

So it doesn't look as this has anything to do with cruise control.

My parts CD only shows a standard relay in the cruise control circuitry.

Are you sure you didn't blow a fuse when your relay burnt out?

My RRC seems to use one fuse to protect a number of different circuits, is anything else not working?

If you like I can send you one of these to try anyway for the cost of P&P

Cheers,

Bob

Any chance of a picture of it?

I've checked all the fuses everywhere on the car, which took some time!

Do you have anyother relays? I know it was that relay as it smoked, the cruise control stopped working but I could still hear the relay clicking! I'll buy whatever you've got, just on the off chance that some of it might do the job! I do a lot of towing cars about and I really need my cc back,

Cheers

Any chance of a picture of it?

I've checked all the fuses everywhere on the car, which took some time!

Do you have anyother relays? I know it was that relay as it smoked, the cruise control stopped working but I could still hear the relay clicking! I'll buy whatever you've got, just on the off chance that some of it might do the job! I do a lot of towing cars about and I really need my cc back,

Cheers

Hi, sent you a PM with photos etc.

Cheers, Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Markings are Hella, 12V, 5WD005052-00, Streuscheiben - Reinigungs - Steuergerat

Babelfish translates this to "Tinted windshields - cleaning - taxturn out"

Funny translation :-)

Its actually the ECU of the headlamp washer.

Cheers

Carsten ;-)