High beam activation wire

streaky

I just purchased a set of IPF driving lamps. They come with a pre-wired loom and special relays...quite a nice set-up actually.

The instructions have two references though....the first for vehicles with positive (+) high beam switching and the other is for vehicles with (-) negative high beam switching.

I am guessing that because the Discovery is newer...it has positive high beam switching. Can anyone confirm this.

Also... what colour is the wire to the back of the head light for full beam? I'll be tapping into this wire for activation of the relay.

Thanks.

S.

Heyup duck, how you doin? Obviously got too much time on your hands.

The old days of blue white = main and blue red = dip seem to have gone.

According to the Manual left headlmp main is blue slate (grey),

right headlamp main is blue orange

left headlamp dip is blue pink

right headlamp dip is blue black

If you want to source the trigger from the dash the main beam warning lamp wire is blue white.

All lamps are individually fused under the dash.

There are no relays so if you want to help the switches/connectors/wiring fit them at the same time.

jw

Heyup duck, how you doin? Obviously got too much time on your hands.

The old days of blue white = main and blue red = dip seem to have gone.

According to the Manual left headlmp main is blue slate (grey),

right headlamp main is blue orange

left headlamp dip is blue pink

right headlamp dip is blue black

If you want to source the trigger from the dash the main beam warning lamp wire is blue white.

All lamps are individually fused under the dash.

There are no relays so if you want to help the switches/connectors/wiring fit them at the same time.

jw

Hi John.

There was a sale on in ACE over the weekend....17% off everything in the store! I got me a 130watt set for the front and two sets of 100watters for the roofrack. The Harry Jones rack is up for sale seeing as you would let the Patriot one go ;)

The roof mounted ones will be powered by the old leads that I've had since new....remember the heated front windsheild power takes offs?....they're excellent for lights.

The IPFs come with a superb harness with relays already grafted in....

Are you saying that the original headlamps also don't have relays? I thought they would have them but stand to be corrected mate.

All else is well....Bob Morrison is over at the moment...off out tonight with him for a pint (Bobs idea of a good night out is falling asleep in public).....chat soon and thanks for the info.

here's some fellow orrpers

what you two doing in this neck of the woods then?

Shhhhh.....we don't say that word around here..........plus I wouldn't know if the answers I get on O**P were genuine or attempts by a 'bunny boiler' to put my Disco up in flames.

Hi jim, you'd be surprised where we turn up. :ph34r:

Streaky, let me correct the statement about relays. The dip beam does have a relay, the main does not.

Note that the headlamp supply passes through two fuses and the switchgear so the potential for some volts drop is there. I think it may be worth trying a set of relays in our regular fashion.

When you install the roofrack lights check with a voltmeter between lamp live and battery pos, also from lamp earth to battery neg with lamps on, if either show more than 0.5 volt then it may be time to re-inforce the wirng /relays.

Cross your fingers for me, Disco on MOT tomorrow, need it to pull a trailer.

jw :D

Understood John........Thx.

Roof lamps are 4 x 100 watts. I'll replace the 30amp relay with a 70amp one. The wiring looks fine...quite heavy guage stuff.

I'll also replace the thermal trip with a bigger one.

Front lamps are 130 watts each...I have a new loom for these babies. I just wanted to activate them via the high beam wires.

Chat later M8. Good luck with the MOT....I'd rather go to the dentist!