Discovery Turning Circle

bigpete

Hi,

I'm new to the forums but have been looking round for a while.

I have a Discovery that i use for off road trials, however the turning circle is shocking. I turned the wheels and tyres to see if i could get better lock but now the tyres catch on the inner wings when i go on the smallest side slope, and i'm not even at full lock.

If anyone has any suggestions on how i can get a better turning circle it would be much appriciated.

Cheers

Pete

Hi,

I'm new to the forums but have been looking round for a while.

I have a Discovery that i use for off road trials, however the turning circle is shocking. I turned the wheels and tyres to see if i could get better lock but now the tyres catch on the inner wings when i go on the smallest side slope, and i'm not even at full lock.

If anyone has any suggestions on how i can get a better turning circle it would be much appriciated.

Cheers

Pete

Firstly I'd suggest you don't run with the rims reversed - as you've found, they'll foul the arches and also play hell with your self centring and wheel bearings... not to mention the fact that it wouldn't be legal for road use anyway.

What rims are you running? Standard Disco Steels don't have much of an offset anyway. Changing to, say, an 8 spoke or a modular with a deeper offset will help. You could also fit a set of spacers to give you more offset, but then you'll have the same problems as above if you go too far...

What tyres are you on? At most I'd go for a 245/70x16 on standard suspension - anything else will foul on articulation anyway.

Have you wound the steering lock stops in? You may find that the stops have been would out to allow for clearance with wider tyres / alloys - if you adjust the stops so that the tyre JUST clears the radius arm that will give you your maximum lock.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Or you could modify the inner arches as I have done (though its a right royal proverbial PITA). Have removed about 2-3 inches from top and front and about 1.5 inches from rear (bulkhead). You then need to relocate batteries into cab and move air filter and header tanks to where the batteries once were. like I said not to be undertaken lightly.

post-1427-1181561967_thumb.jpg

Firstly I'd suggest you don't run with the rims reversed - as you've found, they'll foul the arches and also play hell with your self centring and wheel bearings... not to mention the fact that it wouldn't be legal for road use anyway.

What rims are you running? Standard Disco Steels don't have much of an offset anyway. Changing to, say, an 8 spoke or a modular with a deeper offset will help. You could also fit a set of spacers to give you more offset, but then you'll have the same problems as above if you go too far...

What tyres are you on? At most I'd go for a 245/70x16 on standard suspension - anything else will foul on articulation anyway.

Have you wound the steering lock stops in? You may find that the stops have been would out to allow for clearance with wider tyres / alloys - if you adjust the stops so that the tyre JUST clears the radius arm that will give you your maximum lock.

Hope this helps.

Matt

We dont use the motor on the road just trailer it to events.

The tyres are 235/85/16 Grizzly Claws on standard disco rims.

Going to an event this weekend so i'l try winding the the steering lock stops in and see how it goes.

Cheers

Pete

Winding the steering stops in will only move the rubbing onto the radius arms. You'll probably only gain bout an inch more steering lock.

I had the same problem with Disco steels on my RR and swapped to a set of modulars. Much better!!