2.8 Tdi here we come!

JimAttrill

I am soon(ish) going to rebuild a 300tdi engine to 2.8 using the Brazilian crank, rods and pistons. I can get all this new for about 1000 squid. Sounds like a good deal compared to the money they want for the complete engine. Sounds like fun :)

Apparently the head is 'different', but not so far as the bolt spacing, coolant and oil channels, etc. Valves are the same size. The new fancy combustion chamber is in the piston head, so that will change. Will use the multi-plate steel head gasket, etc. Apparently I could either fit the turbo from the 2.8 wastegate engine or the 2.8 TGV variable vane. But both are expensive and not considered necessary. Some fiddling with the injector pump might be required. I want to have a careful look at the combustion chamber to check that the injector will be in the right place, that could be a problem. I'll keep you posted, though it's all a bit pie in the sky so far. If the block is the same height in both engines it will help as otherwise I will run into piston protrusion problems.

Biggest Kolbensmidt pistons we can get are +020" . Any bore wear bigger than that and we fit sleeves and std pistons. It works out about the same price as the oversize pistons are VERY expensive. This doesn't mean that larger pistons are not out there, just that our supplier doesn't offer them. I know we can get +040" pistons for the 2.25 petrol motor.

2.5 tdi std = 90.395 1st o/s is 90.649, 2nd o/s is 90.903

2.8 tdi bore is a nominal 93 mm so it will need special sleeves.

Biggest Kolbensmidt pistons we can get are +020" . Any bore wear bigger than that and we fit sleeves and std pistons. It works out about the same price as the oversize pistons are VERY expensive. This doesn't mean that larger pistons are not out there, just that our supplier doesn't offer them. I know we can get +040" pistons for the 2.25 petrol motor.

2.5 tdi std = 90.395 1st o/s is 90.649, 2nd o/s is 90.903

2.8 tdi bore is a nominal 93 mm so it will need special sleeves.

Jim

What type of sleeves are you using and how many miles do they last?

We find that if you bore past +20" or fit liners the engines dont get near the miles of the origional.

Are the sleeves you use hardened like the origional bores?

Very interested in this as my experiences with TDI's that need re bores has not been brilliant and I run a fair number of 10 - 12 year old 300 TDI's.

Thirsty

The normal sleeves we use on the 2.5Tdi are made by erm erm, well a very good well known engineering firm. They are sourced through Britpart but not made by Britpart. AE? I'll let you know. We have more-or-less decided to always use sleeves and std KS pistons, it works out about the same money. There are cheepo pistons but we don't use them.

We have not had any come backs on these sleeves.

We have had non-OEM heads where the valve guides are made of plasticine and you end up with about 1.5mm play on the zorst valves after 15k or so. Now we replace the inlet guides with OEM (AE) and fit K-liners to the zorst guides.

The normal sleeves we use on the 2.5Tdi are made by erm erm, well a very good well known engineering firm. They are sourced through Britpart but not made by Britpart. AE? I'll let you know. We have more-or-less decided to always use sleeves and std KS pistons, it works out about the same money. There are cheepo pistons but we don't use them.

We have not had any come backs on these sleeves.

We have had non-OEM heads where the valve guides are made of plasticine and you end up with about 1.5mm play on the zorst valves after 15k or so. Now we replace the inlet guides with OEM (AE) and fit K-liners to the zorst guides.

Thanks I will check who makes the ones we use and who supplys them as they arnt up to the job, they dont seem hardened.