Oil pressure query

Thanks for clearing that up Ralph. Presumably then the entire rad/cooler assembly has to replaced as one unit then.

Ged

One thing you could check for that is a killer of engine oil pressure is your turbo. Pop the intake pipe off and try wiggling the turbine shaft up and down, left and right with your fingers. There should be ideally no play at all. On an older enginge you will find a tiny amount but thats all it should be, a tiny amount.

HOWEVER, saying that, I think your oil pressure is nothing to worry about at all, it will naturally drop as the engine gets older. If you are really worried use an oil with a 50 or higher after the forward slash (/). 20w/50 is the basic but very modern oils such as 0w/50 for example. The 50 part relates to the oils viscosity at high temperatures, so a w/50 oil is thicker a high temps that a w/40. The first part relates to an oils cold temperature behaviour , a 0w oil will stay fairly runny even way below zero degrees. Thats why modern oils save so much fuel, an engine doesn't have to waste power churning treacle on a cold start and yet still have a slippery, non watery lube when its baking hot in the height of summer...........

Thanks Forklift - thats very interesting and the lesson in oil is very much appreciated. I am going to change the oil pump (for €80 its not really an issue) and see how it goes. When I refill the system after the oil change I will use my usual oil to see if the new pump has made much difference. I have had a look at the rad fins and they look pretty good to me. My 110 was expedition prepared some years ago (prior to my ownership) and includes a fine metal grille behind the plastic grille which seems to filter out a lot of the cr*p that usually ends up jammed in the rad. I will also check the turbo and see what I find there.

Thanks very much to all.

Ged