Oil pressure query

Hi,

When I bought my 1993 200tdi 18 months ago it had about 100,000kms on the clock and ran at around 45/50psi when cruising at 110kmh. Since then I have done about 50,000kms and noticed that the pressure has fallen gradually to about 35/40psi. It tends to be higher just after oil changes every 10,000kms but then settles back. What I am wondering is if this is just the result of wear on the engine and if I need to change the oil thickness to help improve the pressure. I normally use Shell Helix Super 15/40 which I have generally considered to be a decent quality oil. I know many of the forum users rave about Difflock oil but for reasons of geography this is not an option.

Ta,

Ged

both of those pressures seem too low to me?

i'd expect to see 4-5 bar at cruise dropping to 2-3bar at idle, these translate to approx 30-45psi at idle to 60-75psi at cruise

it also expect to see 4-5bar when cold at all RPM's

Thanks Ralph, thats very reassurring. For some reason I have a bit of a fixation with the oil pressure and always am a bit concerned when I see the needle dropping back. The actual level is between the upper mark and the middle and I don't lose any through leakage or burning between oil changes which is good. Out of interest, what is the pressure gauge actually measuring? I notice that the needle tends to fluctuate depending on whether I'm cornering left or right?

Thanks,

Ged

The gauge is fed from the pressure transmitter on the oil filter head, it should not fluctuate when cornring, mine doesn't, maybe your transmitter is playing up. I'm out & about shortly, so will try to get photo's of the gauge immediatly after start & while running at normal temp.

maybe. mines electric so that could explain it,

1st one immediatly after strart cold engine.

2nd after about 3 miles warming up nicely

3rd after 30 miles just before switching engine off.

gauge has kpa x 100 above & psi below.

post-20-1188646959_thumb.jpg

post-20-1188647023_thumb.jpg

post-20-1188647118_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

• 4 weeks later...

Ralph,

Were these taken with the engine at idle?

Just wondering cos thats what my 200 seems to do. Hot, at idle I've got about 10psi.

I just dont know whether to worry about it or not! I put all new bottom end shells in before I stuck the engien in so was expecting a bit more! I wonder if the oil pumps poorly......

Cheers

Jon

This makes me feel better, my 90 exhibits exactly the same, 40-50psi at cold idle, up to 60psi cold driving.

Hot idle drops to 15-20psi and 45-50psi driving.

I have no viscous fan, so mine runs a bit warmer than normal, so I was wondering if I should look at a new water pump (the rad is only about 12 months old) as I have a suspicion that it is not cooling well enough.

Have you looked at that to see if the pump is good?

I was thinking the only option left after that would be to take the pump out and see if I could refurb it a bit. However looking at this, perhaps the gauge causes more worry than it saves :)

Well I've just ordered a new oil pump so will be fitting that shortly. I have noticed that together with a drop in pressure and the occasional flickering of the oil light when I brake sharply that the general temperature of the oil has increased. this leads me to suspect that the pump may not be circulating the oil as quick as it should. Will wait with bated breath and a bucket of Swarfega!

Ged

if the oil light flickers it's either the pressure sender playing up or the cooling fins in the radiator are crumbling into dust, a new rad cured the oil light flicker on mine, oil temp sits almost vertical on the gauge -- as you can see in my 3 photo's above, but does increase another segment to the right on long drives.

As a matter of interest Ged, does your oil level stay the same, rise, or fall a bit between services? Any other things that make you feel it isn't running 100%? The reason I ask is that it is possible to to have your engine oil diluted by diesel. A lift pump can develop a small leak and leak fuel into the sump via the camshaft and if the injectors are faulty, they can 'wash' the bores and contaminate the sump oil over time.

Even if you don't use ANY oil between services, it can sometimes mean that there is some being lost, but it is being replaced by diesel.

Does the oil look very thin and smell particularly of fuel?

Regards,

Diff

i also have just fitted a oil pressure guage as a form of preventative maintance,

however on a hot engine it seems to run at less than 25Psi :o this is a lot les than the parameters of 40Psi at 2500 revs on warm enginge as stated in the land rover manual!

i have a small oil leak onthe vacuum pump that has not seen it alter on the dipstick for around 1500 miles.

what else could cause this low pressure reading?

the pressure sender does look a little cheap should i change this first? if so where can i get one cause canny find them on paddocks or john craddocks

hope i,m not hijacking this thread????? am i?

sorrystill quite new and picking things up every day.

dougstar

sorry think i have hi-jacked still new to the forum game any hoo forget the last comment.

apolgies

dougstar

:blush:

Not a problem, your still on the same subject, see my photo's of my 200Tdi oil pressure above, this is on a 12 year old 280,000 mile engine. 25psi with a hot engine is fine :D

Hi,

I've not noticed any particular fuel smells in the oil and I am pretty fussy (anal?) about the 6000 mile oil change. The level of the oil is pretty constant and I've pretty much stopped all leaks (other than one from the transfer box).

Ralph, I didn't quite follow the connection between the fins on the radiator and the flickering oil light? Do you mean the oil cooler? Sorry, its probably me being a bit thick or too much cheap wine......... Is it possible to clean the cooler out? I wondered if the flow of oil through the system is being slowed down by clogged oil ways etc. Where is the sender located?

Thanks

The oil cooler is actually a long canister within the right hand end of the radiator casing, where the oil cooler hoses attach. it doesn't have fins like the radiator, it's cooled by the coolant running around it & taking the heat from it. if the radiator cannot get rid of all the heat through the fins it makes the oil warning light flash, as the oil gets too thin for the pump to keep a good flow rate going.

it's normally the engine side rad fins at the 3 or 4 lower rows that crumlbe into rusty dust.

it's not possible to remove the oil cooler from the rad without dismantling the radiator assembly.