Need some help PLEASE...interesting situation

Big Dave

OK this is a very interesting situation for me. What's going on is that I do not have use of the driver side door lock, meaning I cannot unlock the driver side door itself or do the thing where it unlocks all the doors. I went to unlock it one day and it just snapped and now just freely moves and doesn't do anything. So the only way I have to lock/unlock the doors is the remote thingy, which is the single button model. BUT, when I use it to lock all the doors, they all lock except for the driver's side door, which has never made sense, it moves down a bit when I push the remote button but slips back up.

Now that we have the history of my car here's the situation. I lost the remote thingy, it must've snapped off my key chain at some point, because I did not take it off, it was just missing the other day. I opened the drivers side door to at least get into the car, which then engaged the alarm, which I let run for about 30 seconds and then it shut off. I thought sticking the key in the ignition would turn it off and start the car but no, nothing happens. I read somewhere that if you get in and shut the door and then try putting the key in the ignition the alarm turns off and the car starts, but I want to be sure as it is a little embarrassing to have my alarm go off as I'm fiddling around inside my car.

If anyone knows how I can get my car going since I do have the key, or at least turn the alarm off so I can get stuff out of my car without it going off I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Don't you have a spare remote? Without it, and without a key, you have probably had it. The backup is the EKA code, but the driver's door lock needs to be working for this!

Putting the key in the ignition will only disable the passive immob and then only with the remote on the keyring (there is a coil around the ignition barrel which detects the remote) - putting the key in without the remote will not do anything and the only way of shutting the alarm up is the remote or the EKA code.

Just disconnect the horn to work on the vehicle or get stuff out of it, should make life quieter :) but you MAY find you need a new alarm ECU if you cannot find the remote. I suppose you could fix the drivers door lock and then mobilise the vehicle using the EKA code (if you have it) and then get some new remotes programmed to the vehicle.

Don't you have a spare remote? Without it, and without a key, you have probably had it. The backup is the EKA code, but the driver's door lock needs to be working for this!

Putting the key in the ignition will only disable the passive immob and then only with the remote on the keyring (there is a coil around the ignition barrel which detects the remote) - putting the key in without the remote will not do anything and the only way of shutting the alarm up is the remote or the EKA code.

Just disconnect the horn to work on the vehicle or get stuff out of it, should make life quieter :) but you MAY find you need a new alarm ECU if you cannot find the remote. I suppose you could fix the drivers door lock and then mobilise the vehicle using the EKA code (if you have it) and then get some new remotes programmed to the vehicle.

Well I have the other remote, but it hasn't been used since around '95. I tried it on the car and no luck, it didn't work, even when I replaced the batteries...thanks for the advice on the horn though.