Spare wheel carrier

BogMonster

Got a slight problem with fitting slightly oversized tyres to a new type (2002 onwards) Defender rear door carrier. Tyres are on alloys so I need to find something which is threaded and big enough to not disappear into the stud holes in the alloys, which are a lot bigger than the M16 studs.

I seem to remember - and I have found on Microcat - that the old type (pre 02) spare wheel carrier has a fairly large washer on the carrier that the wheel sits against, which I think is threaded to the M16xwhatever thread of wheel studs.

I don't have a vehicle handy to check so can anybody with an old type Defender rear door spare wheel carrier, confirm whether or not these washers are threaded, and if possible measure the diameter of the washer? I figure that I can put these on then wind them out till the tyre clears the rear wiper arm, the problem is that the wheel fits on fine but presses hard against the rear wiper and you get through a lot of fuses if you try and wipe the rear window :unsure:

At the moment I have a few washers on there to hold the wheel out but I can see them getting lost the first time I need to take the wheel off... and I want a neater solution. I'm just not 100% sure if these threaded washers are big enough.

Part number I think is MUC2368 for a round sort of washer or (apparently) KTD500030 for a hex one (never seen that sort), measurements from either (or both) would be marvellous :)

Ta

Stephen

Guest diesel_jim

Yes Stephen, they are threaded. i remember these on my old spare carrier.

i might have some on an old carrier, i'll have a dig around tomorrow, but don't hold your breath.

My Td5 110 (old style rear door) had them on, with deep-dish alloys (factory fit) so the washer is big enough to fit behind the alloy stud hole.

Jamie

Got a slight problem with fitting slightly oversized tyres to a new type (2002 onwards) Defender rear door carrier. Tyres are on alloys so I need to find something which is threaded and big enough to not disappear into the stud holes in the alloys, which are a lot bigger than the M16 studs.

I seem to remember - and I have found on Microcat - that the old type (pre 02) spare wheel carrier has a fairly large washer on the carrier that the wheel sits against, which I think is threaded to the M16xwhatever thread of wheel studs.

I don't have a vehicle handy to check so can anybody with an old type Defender rear door spare wheel carrier, confirm whether or not these washers are threaded, and if possible measure the diameter of the washer? I figure that I can put these on then wind them out till the tyre clears the rear wiper arm, the problem is that the wheel fits on fine but presses hard against the rear wiper and you get through a lot of fuses if you try and wipe the rear window :unsure:

At the moment I have a few washers on there to hold the wheel out but I can see them getting lost the first time I need to take the wheel off... and I want a neater solution. I'm just not 100% sure if these threaded washers are big enough.

Part number I think is MUC2368 for a round sort of washer or (apparently) KTD500030 for a hex one (never seen that sort), measurements from either (or both) would be marvellous :)

Ta

Stephen

The original and existing carrier on the nas has a nut, then large washer, then alloy, then normal alloy wheel nut.

For steel wheels I thread the first nut further down the screwed rod, dispense with the washer and use a normal steel wheel nut on the outside.

Yes Stephen, they are threaded. i remember these on my old spare carrier.

i might have some on an old carrier, i'll have a dig around tomorrow, but don't hold your breath.

My Td5 110 (old style rear door) had them on, with deep-dish alloys (factory fit) so the washer is big enough to fit behind the alloy stud hole.

Jamie

Ta, don't worry about finding them I can nick some from somewhere I am sure :ph34r: just needed to know they were the right size and threaded, should be just what is needed :)

On a steel wheel on the late type door you can just put ordinary wheel nuts on, then the wheel, then another 3 ordinary nuts, but I have just got an alloy for a spare (previously had a Disco steel on there) and needed to find a way to space the alloy away from the carrier.

Now I need to find some way to make it easy to hold the wheel in the right alignment to put the nuts in the holes, its a bugger of a job at the moment :angry: but I have just spotted some gash (damaged) alloy wheel nuts downstairs and I think I have an idea ;)

Guest diesel_jim
Now I need to find some way to make it easy to hold the wheel in the right alignment to put the nuts in the holes, its a bugger of a job at the moment :angry: but I have just spotted some gash (damaged) alloy wheel nuts downstairs and I think I have an idea ;)

Yeah, it always was a bit of a pain trying to get the nuts lines up whilst holding the wheel up with the other arm! i found that if i just placd the spare onto the 3 studs, then "rotated" it around them that one of them would have enough room around it to enable me to get the nut in place, although that method does nothing to help protect the coating in the wheel.... i ended up with scratched and marks where the stuf camre through the wheel.