Hi! I'm new!

signia

Hi to all!

Been lurking around a bit, as I have done with a few of the LR forums, and after wasting time with one, thought this looked quite a good place to hang out!

Got a 96 Disco V8, usual mods for green laning etc as there are quite a few round where I live (berks).

This is a bit of an adventure for me. Not done too much car work previously, but I've done all the mods myself and even an oil and filter change for the first time on Saturday - without spilling too much oil either!

Which is where my current dilemma begins. Checking out the car generally on Saturday, I noticed a rattle, like a bag full of nuts and bolts at idle coming from under the car. I haven't got underneath to have a listen yet. It's not all the time, just intermittent and goes away when you prod the throttle. Seems to happen more when in gear (it's an auto box btw), but also happens in N.

I'm suspecting worst case scenario - possibly the flex plate? Which I believe is a 'box out job. Now, I'm definitely not competent to have a go at this, so has anyone ever had this done - and what did it cost? Or what else could it be? Transfer box?

Could it be related to a bit of a knock/jolt when all warmed up and selected D (or R) - or is that normally just worn U/Js?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Welcome :)

V8 flex plates don't usually go AFAIK, its a diesel disease. If it does go though it is bl&&dy expensive. Best bet is to talk to Ashcroft Transmissions about a replacement and theirs are cheaper than LR's too.

It depends on the noise but if it is only a little rattle then check the cat heatshields haven't got little rocks in them, mine rattles at idle sometimes and I eventually found that it was little rocks (5-10mm sort of size) rattling in the heatshields :rolleyes: nice cheap repair though :)

A bit of clank when going from D to R or vice versa is common when hot, only experience can say whether it is normal or not but I have heard some quite alarming noises from vehicles which actually had nothing wrong with them.

Thanks a lot Bogmonster!

I'll get underneath and have a good listen and will check out the cat too - thanks for the tip.

It's not a hugely alarming noise, yust someone quietly gargling with bolts. And, like I said very intermittent. Usually when the revs drop as I put it into D or R and crawling along on idle. But that could just be the frequency at which something else is rattling, so yup, I will take a closer look.

I'm getting the feeling that owning a landy is something you never master. I've learned loads so far, but there always seems to be something else!

Cheers.

Just to wrap this one up. Got underneath last night to try to locate the source of the sound and by pushing a spanner up against one of the manifold pipes leading to the midsection, the noise stopped! I'm certain it's now louder than before, so I pmight have pushed too hard with the spanner :D

Most relieved anyway - thanks BogMonster for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers.