Drop Arm Play

Gromit

So, my truck has failed its NCT on a slew of things, most of which I knew about.

Oh well, now I have a proper typed up list of things to do :P

I've been having problems with the drop arm, the nut won't stay tight, even with the lock tab, locktite and a second nut :angry:

There also seems to be play in the arm, which is probably what is loosening the nut.

I'm not 100% sure where the play is. I don't think its the bearing in the box

Do the splines of the drop arm wear, or the shaft of the steering box, or both. Would I get away with a new drop arm or do I need a new box?

It's a 4 bolt box BTW.

Cheers,

I'm not 100% sure where the play is. I don't think its the bearing in the box

Do the splines of the drop arm wear, or the shaft of the steering box, or both. Would I get away with a new drop arm or do I need a new box?

It's a 4 bolt box BTW.

Cheers,

Been there with a three-bolt box. I have a theory that some aftermarket arms 'relax' on the splines and as they become lose they wear the shaft splines, after that you've got no hope of keeping them tight, even (in my experience) with a new arm.

You could try a new arm but clean the shaft splines well and make sure they are straight - a shoulder worn into them high up near the box will not allow the new arm to seat fully. If you're happy apply a little loctite and do the thing up F. T. followed by the usual locktab turned over etc. I also ground out the top 1/16" or so of the splines to form a clean bevel to make sure the arm slid on far enough when tightened. If that lot doesn't work then it's certainly tome for a new box ...

AndyG

Play in the shaft bearing would't undo the nut I think - it wouldn't generate the vibration necessary to do this - a worn bearing would just cause the shaft to move. If there was any excessive wear in the splines they would have a step in them to indicate this. I would be tempted to put a large spring washer between the nut and tab washer to eliminate the problem. Only turning right will undo the nut, so you could try only driving in a staright line and turning left. :lol:

Les.