Mongi track wheels

Guest deleted

They would still suffer from the same deficiency that Rover found with the Cuthbertson LandRover conversion or Mattracks or other copies do, and that is due to the relatively small diameter of the bogie wheels the vertical obstacle or step climbing ability is very poor when compared to regular 4x4 wheels.

Bill.

Having driven LR's tracked 110"..... it's not the easiest thing in the world to drive :o

It's impossible to turn unless your actually moving, and even at low speeds it's still blinkin hard!!! I had the pleasure of trying to thread it through the crowds at last years Gaydon show.

Ian

I wondered (in an idle moment) whether an arrangement more like this:

sacktruckstair.jpg

might work better.

You surround a centre wheel with three other wheels. Drive is simply by friction between the wheels. Although it reverses the drive which makes it more tricky to retro-fit, these types of arrangements are designed for climbing steps.

Si

sacktruckstair.jpg

might work better.

You surround a centre wheel with three other wheels. Drive is simply by friction between the wheels. Although it reverses the drive which makes it more tricky to retro-fit, these types of arrangements are designed for climbing steps.

Si

CAUTION!

Nurse!

Simon is outside the evelope again!

sacktruckstair.jpg

might work better.

Si

Lockheed corp in the US built several experimental offroad vehicles using that concept. They were called Tristar. The three wheel cluster could also be driven in paddle mode as in a triangular shaped single wheel for walking through swamps etc.

Bill.

Thankyou Mr Wightman!

Lockheed corp in the US built several experimental offroad vehicles using that concept. They were called Tristar. The three wheel cluster could also be driven in paddle mode as in a triangular shaped single wheel for walking through swamps etc.

Bill.

That's more like it! I'm a bit busy at the moment - so maybe this is one for the future! I like the idea of driving the whole assemblies as paddle wheels - you could make people horribly car sick at the flick of a switch!

Si

Yes, in Paddle wheel mode the ride would be horrendous on anything resembling firm ground. It would certainly be an interesting engineering challenge to build .Lockheed reportedly had difficulty making the complex drive system for what they called minor wheel mode (8x8) and Major wheel mode (triangular shaped wheel 4x4) reliable.

Bill.

Yes, in Paddle wheel mode the ride would be horrendous on anything resembling firm ground. It would certainly be an interesting engineering challenge to build .Lockheed reportedly had difficulty making the complex drive system for what they called minor wheel mode (8x8) and Major wheel mode (triangular shaped wheel 4x4) reliable.

Bill.

I seem to remember a scrapheap challenge episode years ago where a Russian engineer had perfected that wheel design, unfortunatly it didn't transfer well into a scrapheap design, good concept though