Cure for Sluggish Autos?

EdF

I was contemplating buying a TD5 Disco automatic as my wife can't drive a manual due to left leg injuries. Over a few months we looked at three and all were very sluggish compared to a manual and not much fun to drive. I know the power can be upped with a chip or a re-map, but the auto box didn't seem very good, sort of 'all revs and no go'. We already have a Tiptronic VW Passat and there was simply no comparison to that, so we went off the idea and I went and bought yet another 90 instead.. However, it's not ideal for what we want and I'm going to have to reconsider a Disco. Is there any way to improve the auto gearbox?

carp arent they?

I drove a few and the phrase all revs and no go sums it up!

Gary from TD5alive ( do a google) was looking at modifying the auto ecu to better suit the auto box may be worthwhile contacting him.

Dont forget its basically the same box as the 300 with elec control and its only a 4 speed.

Lynall

Seems my 'notify of a reply' isn't working.. Ho-humm..

Yes they are carp in standard trim, wouldn't pull a skin off a rice pudding. Okay if you don't tow and never go uphill. We went nuts and went for a test drive in a TDV6 auto - which we could afford if we sold the three motors we have now. Nice machine and no comparison at all to the old one. May be the way to go, secondhand of course, although as Landys get ever more complex, the thoughts of very expensive repair bills when the warranty runs out is daunting. I'm still coming to terms with having electric windows and central locking in my 90... Banging my right knee constantly on the window winder was a sort of comforter... Reminding me how I have to suffer running something so b****y uncomfortable...

How the average woman drives a TD5 manual is beyond me. They seem to think that it is a fault of their own LR and that it shouldn't be like that. Here I am especially thinking of the Defender, though the Disco isn't much easier. If you see women with huge muscles on the left leg only, you know which car they drive :o

Yes, if you have a TD5 auto it has to be remapped. We do it with a map from Bell Auto Services in the UK, TD5 alive does it, they all do it.

And if you tow, don't tow anything heavy like a horsebox with a horse or two in it. The gearbox will eat itself before you can say 'and how much is that?' Or, if you do, use Dexron III fully synthetic ATF which may help. The jury is still out on this one for us, but it should be better as the synthetics can cope with higher temperatures without breaking down as happens with ordinary Dexron II ATF. That the Disco II auto has no dipstick doesn't help at all.