Dry Sump

ripley

Has anyone had any experience of running a dry sump on a v8, looking at fitting one to the new build

just as im going hyd winch i dont really want to be switching the engine off when its laying on its side,

i know v8s will run with hardly any oil pressure, but when its a new lump the last thing i want to do is blow it up :huh:

cheers

graham

Guest diesel_jim

AN old v8 i used to have in my lightweight was nearly a dry sump... it burnt and leaked that much that after a couple of weeks, the sump was dry!! :D:D:D:D

Has anyone had any experience of running a dry sump on a v8, looking at fitting one to the new build

just as im going hyd winch i dont really want to be switching the engine off when its laying on its side,

i know v8s will run with hardly any oil pressure, but when its a new lump the last thing i want to do is blow it up :huh:

cheers

graham

I did all the plumbing for a customer who fitted a dry sump onto the V8 in his TVR Tuscan for racing ( to be honest there wasn't room for a sump ).

He has had no problems with it at all. The hard part was getting the scavenger pump and pipes into what was too small a space.

I would suggest in a LR where ther is loads of room for the pump / tank / plumbing etc. it would be a much easier job.

David

I was looking over a speed boat many years ago that was fitted with a dry sumped 327 chev V8.Instead of paying the huge sums of money being asked for a racing or marine dry sump system the owner made his own using the compound belt driven scavenge/ pressure pump from a Rolls Royce B60 engine as fitted to Daimler Ferret armoured scout cars.

Bill.

I had my 90 in a trench on a comp and drove it along a bank on its side at least 70 degs and it did over heat after 20mins but no oil problems or lights came on with a normal sump but did have oil coolers which may have helped the oil pressure stay constant.

Pete drove it after me we where the only two cars to atempt it.

I had my 90 in a trench on a comp and drove it along a bank on its side at least 70 degs and it did over heat after 20mins but no oil problems or lights came on with a normal sump but did have oil coolers which may have helped the oil pressure stay constant.

fridge let me know how many beer tokens you want for it,

jules i dont mind running no oil pressure now & again but with hydro winch id like to still run the engine even if its right on its side,

coz nowing me it will be often :D

cheers

graham

Hi ,

I looked into this & spoke with Mark Adams & John Eales & the conclusion was a differnent shaped sump & overfill dipstick by 1 litre .

This solved all my RED light & knocking issues when driving /winching on my side . Not that i ever do that anyway B)

The problem with the dry sump is that the dry sump canister has baffles in that need to let the air seperate etc & unless you fitted it into a Jiro {or however you spell it} or someting the dry sump wouldnt solve the problem anyway .

My problem wasnt on its side or verticaly forward it was when winching on a vertical wall :D

Well that was what i was told but putting an extra litre in was a lot easier as well :D

20mins didnt that section have a DNF time of 16 mins :P

The problem with the dry sump is that the dry sump canister has baffles in that need to let the air seperate etc & unless you fitted it into a Jiro {or however you spell it} or someting the dry sump wouldnt solve the problem anyway .

True to a point - you can make a dry-sump tank a more convenient shape (for example, tall and thin with a pointed end) so that it has to be at nearly 90 degrees before oil will run away from the pickup. It's far harder to do the same to a sump as you run out of room.

For a basic idea, if you 1/2 fill a coke bottle and tilt it over, you have to tilt it a hell of a way over before a central pickup in the bottom would be dry.