TD5 Axle Breathers....

Hi all...

I now have a very nice pair of 24 spline TD5 axles (thank you tony!) I've fitted both of them and everything's working perfectly, I just need to sort out breathers. The front was easy...simply screw my old breather in, but the rear..doesn't have any thread! Seems to have some sort of brass tube that pushes into the hole in the axle casing...

Clearly I can tap a thread in the axle casing and fit the old breather system, but is there a better way of doing it? and preferably one that won't end up with swarf from cutting the thread running around my diff!!

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the input, the front axle has a treaded hole, the same as the older 90 axle I was removing. But the rear doesn't have a thread, there is a brass tube that would push-fit into the axle casing, this type of breather is different to the types I've used before and I'm un-sure what I would need to make them work! (Never had nice new 24 spline axles before :D)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Luke,

Useful link thanks..

The brass push-fit is in the axle casing, the problem I have is when I extended the breather system for the previous axles I ripped the old one out and replaced it all the way through...with a large diameter fuel line (had it lying around!) and I used a union bolt into the axle. Obviously the fuel line sized breather pipe won't fit into the LR push-fit fitting so I guess i'll have to tap a thread in the axle and use some grease on the tap to try and keep any swarf from making it into the axle.

Thanks (again!)

matt