Off-roading in central Spain

Darren

Later next year, probably October half term, I'm planning a trip with three vehicles to central Spain for 4/5 days of camping and off-roading. Crossing will be via Portsmouth-Bilbao, but the start and end point of the camping trip will be Madrid (where my parents live and will be looking after my small children for the duration :) ).

I've done the sea crossing before and driven down through Spain for a trip to Morocco a few years ago, so know what to expect on that score. However, other than a couple of nights under canvas in the Sierra Nevadas on the way back, haven't done any proper travelling in Spain and I wondered if anybody had any pointers? In particular, I'd appreciate recommendations for maps, information about the legalities of off-road driving and knowledge of good areas or routes to aim for in the region.

Myself and a few other reprobates from this forum had a trip through the (mostly Spanish) Pyrenees last spring. We were following a five day off-road roadbook and took the opportunity to camp by the side of the route in some fantastic settings. I do not know whether wild camping is permitted or if it is frowned on but nobody challenged us - although only a couple of lunberjacks saw us. :)

As to where you can go and where you cannot, we spent the whole of our journey seeing some interesting looking tracks, wondering if we could go down them and not wanting to take the chance. Speaking to people since, it seems you can use pretty much any track as long as it is not marked as being private or no entry.

We were advised that cars travelling in groups should not travel closer than 100m apart and should avoid creating a dust cloud. I am not sure if there is a legal maximum group size...

Chris

Thanks guys.

Potes is a bit far north with a start and finish in Madrid, unfortunately.

The driving in Spain tips are very useful, thanks, and any opportunity for a Caine quote is worthwhile :)

Your experience of the Pyrenees is also useful, Chris. I've heard before that 'any track goes' but never been able to find anything official on it. The Spanish do generally tend to be a lot more relaxed than folks in the UK so it does sound plausible though. I could really do with some decent maps to plan a route. I wonder if there's a Spanish equivalent of the OS?

Guest diesel_jim
. I've heard before that 'any track goes' but never been able to find anything official on it. The Spanish do generally tend to be a lot more relaxed than folks in the UK so it does sound plausible though. I could really do with some decent maps to plan a route. I wonder if there's a Spanish equivalent of the OS?

I had an email chat a while back with an expat who lives there,who does 4x4 tours; he confirmed that the tracks are fine as long as there are no signs stating "privado". you also see "ninguna caza" or similar, the CAZA bit means "hunting" and most of these parts are out of bounds too, certainly arouns Andalucia where i venture sometimes you see it.

for the spanish maps, the nearest (and best) you'll get closest to OS are the "mapas militar"... funnily enough that means military maps :rolleyes: . i've got some of sothern spain, but you can get them from La Tienda Verde (the green shop), they do 1:25 and 1:50,000 in two formats, ING and CGE. one is a government map and the other is done by the shop themselves i think, if you follow the link and go to the maps, you can view the different types.

they're cr@p at getting back on emails though! <_<:angry: