Headlight Problems

Hi there. I've searched the forum but can't see anything similar......

Can anybody help me with a headlight problem? It's a TD5 Defender - Scandinavian spec. I can't get any lights at all except main beam flash. All fuses are OK, there is power into the strg col switch, which drops to zero when I move the switch into side or full position. No power at the fuse box, but all OK under the seat. The car has been standing 4 or 5 months but was OK before that. I did have the problem before but like all best landies it fixed itself!

Appreciate any advice. Thanks and I'll work out how to update profiles and add pics (Defender 130 +12" station wagon)

• 2 weeks later...

<_< Hi Big Malc, just to let you know YOU ARE NOT ALONE with this problem. I have an Australian spec defender 130, also with a lighting problem. the items that i have checked are as follows, globes, switch, relays (both under dash and under seat), fuses, still have no joy with lights working. Have traced the fault back to there being no power to the fuses under dash, but there is power to the relays and the switch, totaly confused :huh: The switch turns on the parking lights, the dip switch/stalk works fine but no main beam. If there is anyone who can help, it would be greatful.

cheers, Mike

Could be very well the stalk and the connectors that 'live' in the steering shroud. These tend to melt 'inside' and loose contact. Happened with me when I was doing 130kph on a pitch dark night in Holland on the motorway... :blink:

Could be very well the stalk and the connectors that 'live' in the steering shroud. These tend to melt 'inside' and loose contact. Happened with me when I was doing 130kph on a pitch dark night in Holland on the motorway... :blink:

;) thanks for the comment but the stalk seemed to check out fine and the switch was replaced with a new item just six months earlier :D

I too have had this. The most likely problem is a connection called a header. There are several of these in the system, but the one you want lives in the bulkhead, underneath the little cover behind the cig lighter etc. The headers are multi connectors. They look like just a large plastic loom end, but there is a cap which you can pull off, and inside you will find a series of fingers which make the connections. If the connections are not good, you will get the sysmptoms you describe; power at the stalk switch, but when you apply a load i.e. switch it on, no power. Pop off the cap, give it a clean, and off you go. They can be tucked away quite well down inside the bulkhead though, so you might have to dig a bit. And makesure you get the right one. I will have a look in my book later and get the item number for you.