i think its the altinator

pux

Hi guy's when driving along my head lights dim in and out and then my rev counter does what it feels like :o am i right in thinking my altinator is on its way out :huh: i have checked all my connections and earths and all seem ok :(

Hi guy's when driving along my head lights dim in and out and then my rev counter does what it feels like :o am i right in thinking my altinator is on its way out :huh: i have checked all my connections and earths and all seem ok :(

Is your alternator belt loose? The alternator will charge normally under light load but when you put heavy load items like headlights, rear window heater etc on the alternator will have more resistance and slip.

Normally an alternator either works or doesn't! If it doesn't then the charging light will come on (usually) indicating a fault. Does the car start ok i.e. battery still charged?

If you can get hold of a voltmeter then the battery should give about 12.5 volts when not running and about 14+ volts with the engine running.

I see you have checked the connections which is the other thing I would have suggested.

Just before my alternator died (300 disco) the rev counter started doing its own thing. Was in summer (if you can call it that!) so didnt notice any lighting issues, could also hear a bearing noise from the alternator when i stuck my head under the bonnet.

Just before my alternator died (300 disco) the rev counter started doing its own thing. Was in summer (if you can call it that!) so didnt notice any lighting issues, could also hear a bearing noise from the alternator when i stuck my head under the bonnet.
Ah that rings a bell, as there is a little noise like a bearing under the bonnet, i just presumed it was the usual suspect being the water pump :D

Also check that the pulley-wheel on the alternator isn't loose (so it's only spinning some of the time) - you'd have to slacken the belt to check.

I found out the hard way the other week when the pulley got looser & looser until the belt jumped off and shredded itself.

Dunk