It wont start

richardthestag

I am going down to re-wire dads series 11a 2.25 petrol this weekend it is 12v neg earth and the loom is so old that lights etc are intermittant. The only thing that has been good is the starting. Now that has stopped. I'd like to prove that the damn thing starts before I rip the old loom out + I need to drive it a couple of hundred yards to the barn and would be easier than towing it.

Couple of questions please;

Assuming that the points gap is correct and that the feed from the coil to the points is ok, I can run a seperate proven wire if this is bad....

If I run an ht lead from the coil with a plug on it (earthed against the engine block) and flick the points open and closed I should get a spark yes?

If I don't can I run 12v direct to the coil from the battery i.e. is there any nasty hidden ballast resistors etc.

As the starter still turns the engine and with a 12 volt feed to the coil it should start yes?

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

1. can I run 12v direct to the coil from the battery?

2. i.e. is there any nasty hidden ballast resistors etc.?

3.As the starter still turns the engine and with a 12 volt feed to the coil it should start yes?

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

1. yes. but don't leave it there forever, the coil will overheat eventually if the engine isn't running.

2. No

3. Yes, provided timing is ok, points are ok, plugs are ok, leads are ok, dizzy cap is ok, rotor arm is ok carb is clean, lift pump is ok etc etc.

Regards,

Diff

Has it got fuel in it? :D

:P

Been their before with another car. I haven't seen this one since in wouldn't start but am reliably informed that their is no sparko, I will check for a nice wet plug before I get in too deep.

I am going down to Devon Friday so will let you know whether poor old pops ran it out of fuel :rolleyes:

Thanks also to Diff for your help. ;)

Many thanks for all the advise.

Once I got infront of it the solution was easy. Cap off, ignition on and I get a nice heathy spark at the points by flicking them open and closed. Pulled coil to dizzy ht lead off and held it 5mm off the rocker cover. however on flicking the points open and closed I got a woefully poor spark which could only just been seen. After running 12v straight to the coil +'ive and replacing the coil -'ive to dizzy low tension I gave up and pulled the 12v coil out of the Range Rover. Car started straight away.

I can only conclude that the flat battery was caused because the ignition was "just on" over night. This overheated and killed the coil while it drained the battery.

Rewire went as planned and everything is working a treat, except the wiper motor which seems reluctant to do anything!! I ran out of time and will fix next time I am there.

Edited by Tonk
removed swear word