Hydro assist on standard steering box

Hendrik

Rather than drill the box you can tee into the lines already there,

Steve90/rogue vogue are then ones to ask

I have some pics of Steve's set up courtesy of him, if he says ok I can fwd them to you.

David Llama is apparently piecing together a bolt on kit.

Feel free to send them on Tony, Did you get the last lot of pics of the MK3 version???

I haven't got any pics handy of the steering box at the moment but will take some in the morning (as long as I remember my camera, Memory like a goldfish) and post them. If you are going to drill the box you really should strip it to be sure you dont get swarf in the box. You would probably get away with doing it in one piece if you grease the drill and tap but id be happier pulling it apart. Is it a 4 or 6 bolt box you have??? I have both here drilled for Hydro assist so can post pic's of whichever.

alternatively as Tony says you can T into pipes and take a feed off the bleed nipple.

At the moment I'm still using a standard pump which works fine but is a little slow to react!

Im using the ZF74 which works brilliantly.

Also it might be worth mentioning that I had problems with oil starvation on side slopes with the std small plastic ZF type reservoir. The difference in fluid volume needed by the ram from one lock too the other was greater than the small reservoir could hold. Changing it to the early tin RR/90 type would be ideal but I couldn't find one so I used one off a bedford TL.

Here's the ram in the MK3 position!

Despite concerns I had over putting it here and it giving the Panhard rod bushes a hard time the advantages were more than enough to make it worth a try. Ciderman suggested I rose joint the Panhard rod which I think I will probably do.

post-1274-1198094825_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1198094840_thumb.jpg

Hi All

First post, been watching for a while, very usefull forum.

I've been following the evolution of Steve's hydro assist, very impressed nice peace of engineering.

I,m looking to put hydro assist no my 90. I'm running 36" simex and having issues with my power steering [twisted sector shaft, blown seals etc]. Does hydro assist improve the life expectancy of the steering box? I've got a 6 bolt but I'm thinking of changing it for a 4 bolt box, I'd be very interested in pics of modified boxs, I think I know where to drill and tap the box, but it would be reasuring to see some pics of other peoples boxs before taking the plunge

Cheers Dave :)

Hi All

First post, been watching for a while, very usefull forum.

I've been following the evolution of Steve's hydro assist, very impressed nice peace of engineering.

I,m looking to put hydro assist no my 90. I'm running 36" simex and having issues with my power steering [twisted sector shaft, blown seals etc]. Does hydro assist improve the life expectancy of the steering box? I've got a 6 bolt but I'm thinking of changing it for a 4 bolt box, I'd be very interested in pics of modified boxs, I think I know where to drill and tap the box, but it would be reasuring to see some pics of other peoples boxs before taking the plunge

Cheers Dave :)

Thanks.

The Ram should cut down on steering box failures, It should take some of the shock loading back through the steering and protect the box. 4 bolt are said to be stronger than the 6 which is why I changed mine but some people say there is no difference!!!!

Steve, I like that installation - its very tidy!

Thanks Will, Im quite pleased with it now. The ram is up out of harms way and with the steering guard in place should be even better, The hoses are tucked up very nicely and very short and its got over the few small problems I had with the Mk1 and 2 versions.

Is there any problems with using a through rod cylinder mounted on the back of the axle, replacing the drag link?

I was going to make some extender bars from EN24 (or similar) with a track rod end onto the swivels and a rose joint / clevis arrangement for the connection onto the cylinder rod ends

That was where /how I was planning on installing my system.....

Is there any problems with using a through rod cylinder mounted on the back of the axle, replacing the drag link?

I was going to make some extender bars from EN24 (or similar) with a track rod end onto the swivels and a rose joint / clevis arrangement for the connection onto the cylinder rod ends

That was where /how I was planning on installing my system.....

After discussing this with Jase a while back I gave it a fair bit of thought. The problem I could see was that under the diff nose was out of the question as the ram would be the first thing to hit tree stumps, Rocks etc and over the top would not have enough clearance under the sump on full bump to fit the ram in. Also the track rods would be at a funny angle by the time they went from a ram mounted above the diff nose to the hubs bellow the diff nose over quite a short distance.

Mmmmm. OK. Gives more credence to mounting it to the steering box drop arm then.

Out of interest, how is the drop arm modded to take the ram rose joint and the steering bar rose joint?

Does the pin / bolt have any angular movement in it?

That arrangement does look very neat and tidy.

Pump was Alfred Murry, The ZF74 is quite £££££y but atleast I was sure it was the right one. ZF use the same castings for 95% of their pumps but none of the ZF German car P.A.S. pumps that look the same have anywhere near the output figures quoted for a ZF74. He was tidy to deal with and posted it next day delivery.

The ram was a straightforward supplies kit. Basically because I didn't have the time to start working out what size ram I needed and searching for one etc so I just bought one that does the job and it seems to be about right really. I have only used the ram tho as the brackets and pipes I ended up making as I needed them.

Mmmmm. OK. Gives more credence to mounting it to the steering box drop arm then.

Out of interest, how is the drop arm modded to take the ram rose joint and the steering bar rose joint?

Does the pin / bolt have any angular movement in it?

That arrangement does look very neat and tidy.

No movement at all. I drilled the arm out to slightly under the bolt size then reamed it finally till the bolt was a snug fit. I made sure there was just the right amount of parallel shank on the bolt to go through both rose joints and the arm then just enough thread for the Nut to tighten it all up. I am going to put a better quality bolt through before I use it in anger tho as its in single sheer and the bolt I have is an S grade which I think is the same as an 8.8.

Right, that's one more thread to add to the favourates! I'm not looking at the front end until the back end's finished.

Steve, I think you're really onto something with the position as a small steering gaurd (just enough to protect the drop arm and the ram) will mean there's virtually no chance of any damage being done.

Right, that's one more thread to add to the favorites! I'm not looking at the front end until the back end's finished.

Will Warne means there's virtually no chance of anything being done.

Sorted your Typos Will :)

you must stop this my ribs are hurting enough already...