Thrust Bearing Noise?

TripTrick

Hi There,

After I had the "little" roll over in my Series LR there seems to be a very noisy something coming from the bell housing area I think.

Could diesel have dripped onto the Thrust bearing while she was on her roof thus causing a very dry and noisy bearing? Or maybe it is not seated correctly anymore? She is slipping quite badly through all the gears.

I replaced the Pressure plate, clutch and Bearing about 3 weeks ago and it was all fine.

If your gearbox doesn't have the sealed type throwout bearing assembly the gearbox oil can leak out the front all over your clutch disc when your vehicle is upside down in a nose down attitude or parked on a downslope of 12 degrees or more with the engine switched off. :rolleyes: I can't remember when the sealed throwout was introduced, 1968 or thereabouts.

WARNING!!!UNSAFE WORK PRACTICE INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW!!!

We used to do a bodge fix years ago by half filling the bell up with petrol and roll starting the vehicle to avoid starter motor arcing with the inevitable explosion. once engine was startedI would keep the clutch pedal depressed for five minutes to allow the petrol to wash away the excess oil from the clutch disc. The results weren't perfect but it worked and it beat pulling the gearbox back and installing a new clutch in the bush miles from civilisation.

Bill.

If your gearbox doesn't have the sealed type throwout bearing assembly the gearbox oil can leak out the front all over your clutch disc when your vehicle is upside down in a nose down attitude or parked on a downslope of 12 degrees or more with the engine switched off. :rolleyes: I can't remember when the sealed throwout was introduced, 1968 or thereabouts.

WARNING!!!UNSAFE WORK PRACTICE INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW!!!

We used to do a bodge fix years ago by half filling the bell up with petrol and roll starting the vehicle to avoid starter motor arcing with the inevitable explosion. once engine was startedI would keep the clutch pedal depressed for five minutes to allow the petrol to wash away the excess oil from the clutch disc. The results weren't perfect but it worked and it beat pulling the gearbox back and installing a new clutch in the bush miles from civilisation.

Bill.

Not sure what Type of Gearbox I have, all I know is that it is a Crash Box Series IIA Box.

As for the UNSAFE WORK PRACTICE... I tried it but had to squirt the Petrol into the Chamber on top as one can view the FlyWheel from underneath the truck as it is not a sealed unit. So cannot fill it. My dad mentioned that they also used to do this trick in the old days aswell...

I suppose it nneds to be filled with Petrol to work correctly as the squirting did nor really help as the noise was still there when I put the LR into Gear and moved forward... A Horrible noise really. Funny, It does not do it in Neutral? Strange? To my mind the Bearing is not under Load when in Gear and Niether in Neutral so it should make the noise in both situations...?

Anyway, I decided to pull the box again and take a look see.... Everything is loose now only after 2 or so hours.. (Getting better at it) now I need an Engine Hoist or Pully for the Garage Roof to list the Gearbox a little then I can pull it back. Can only get tomorrow as everything is still closed today....

Thanks for the help/

After i parked my 88" on its roof upon restarting there was an engine speed related knocking which i thought was big ends as the engine carried on running upside down(diesel). Nothing was found untoward in the engine when stripped and when the box was put in my 109 there was the knock again, it was a small sliver of metal from the 1st/2nd syncroniser that had got embedded between the primary pinion teeth and the top gear syncro cone that was making contact with the side of the layshaft constant mesh gear, but as yours is a 2a box you wont have those bits floating about but it is something to considder, a piece of a 3rd/top syncro spring?.

I have not opened the box today so am Not sure about the Syncro hub, But it is new (only about 2 weeks old.)

I think I found the issue... The Pressure plate seems to have 1 rivet that has come loose. (Collapsed) Could this cause the noise if things are not pressing straight maybe the bearing being pushed skew could cause the noise?

Clutch seems to have got a little hurt and burnt and the Thrust Bearing seems ok, however, I will replace again now that it is open (Again) <_<

I read somewhere on these forums that one could use the clutch plate from a LR 130 in the Series? Is this right? It looked more heavy duty with 3 extra springs etc... Maybe worth doing if it will work....