O/T slimline CD drive

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Wonder if any of the computer tech guys might know the answer to this one...

I've got a slimline CD drive for my incarPC, and got an adaptor from Maplins to convert it from slimline into IDE.

trouble is, the drive is connected on the same ribbon cable as my hard drive, and i can't see how to fit the link to make the CD drive the slave.

according to the maplins site (above link) it is pssible to configure it this way. but equally on their (and other sites showing the exact same adaptor) it shows the connectors (both "4 pin" ones) as being for audio connections.... i recognise one of them as the audio jobbie, but i can't imagine there would be 2 of them??

I tried emailing, but no answer yet, and if you ring them up "it's 50p a minute sir".... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I had a look at Maplins and the 101 other websites that sell this exact same adapter. They all seem to have exactly the same worded description.

I thought, like you, that the '2nd audio connector' looked more like a row of jumper pins, but looking closely at one of the larger pictures on one of the websites, the pcb at the back of the two audio connectors appears to show them connected in parallel.

There doesn't appear to be any jumpers or dip switches on the board, so I would guess that it either requires it's own IDE channel, or it has to be used with a 'cable-select' IDE cable.

Paul.

hmm that's an odd connector, and you are quite right in that none of the connectors look like priority select jumpers- usually you have a 3 jumper point with 1-2 being cable select 2-3 being master and empty being slave.

Having looked on the Maplins site there is a possibility that the middle jumper set (with 4 points in black) could be the cable select option- i would try jumping over 1-2, 3-4 and empty. Leave your HDD to Cable select and put your master socket of your ribbon cable on the optical drive and the slave connector on the HDD- if you don't have a cable select ribbon then go and buy one- older ribbons can cause problems, although i don't understand why- certainly the PIN arrangements haven't changed.

Alternatively buy another adaptor here- http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10869 which i can confirm definitely works