Tailgate problem

Symes

Yet another tailgate window/lock problem.... I've posted on another forum without any luck, so here goes!

First occured about 15 months ago, the tailgate wouldn't open as the glass wasn't dropping, managed to get the glass to drop in the end by using the central console switch - pressing up/down in rapid succession! - applied WD40 and thought the problem had gone.....

...until just before Christmas, when the tailgate wouldn't open again, this time the up/down console switch trick wasn't working, and oddly when locking the car I got the 'mislock' beep.

So having removed the r/n/s trim and swapping relays, checking voltages to the motor (only seemed to manage a short spike before dropping) I 'forced' the lock motor with a blast of 12V and gently opened the door.

Removing the tailgate trim showed no tangled/snagged wires, removed the motor armature to allow the glass to be dropped slightly, reassembled, closed the door and the glass raised - went through the same procedure but disconnected the battery for a few minutes, again the glass RAISED when battery reconnected (rather than the expected lowering)!

Have found that the console switch will operate - but the opposite way to normal! i.e. what was 'up' now makes the glass go down!

pressing the button to drop the glass a few inches and releasing results in the glass being raised to the fully closed position again, but - lower the glass all the way and it stops down, and most interestingly opening the tailgate makes the glass to RISE about 2 inches - reclosing the tailgate drops the glass all the way down!

All of this suggests that the motor is running "in reverse", but I have no idea why... I could swap the power connection wires over and I should then have a 'proper' up/down orientation, but what if things swap back over (as they seem to have done in the first place) - I don't want to return to a locked car and find the rear glass down!

Given that I get the 'mislock' beep when I lock the car, which seems to have been the same as a number of similar posts I wonder if anyone could tell me what was replaced to make their tailgate operate properly???

Symes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as an update, I left the window in it's reverse state for a week, then got fed up with the 'mislock' every time I locked up!

Swapped the power up/down wires in the connector block and now everything works the way it should....!

I've no idea why the motor has decided to 'reverse' itself, but it's all OK for the moment, I can open the rear door using the latch, drop the window using the remote fob and raise it with the keyswitch - in fact it's like new!