Front Halfshaft Diameter

TomG

Am after a bit of advice.. I have 24-spine (diff end) halfshafts in my front axle - not sure which ones these are as they were on it when i got it.

The diff end spline is approx 1.24" in diameter but the shaft tapers down to 1.06" (10 spline shaft size?) in the middle section for most of the length of the shaft before going back upto size where it goes into the swivel.

Is this normal? I thought 24-spline shafts would be 1.24" along the entire length, reducing the diameter seems intentionally weak, i'm surprised i haven't broken them yet.. (35"s, front ARB)

Am after a bit of advice.. I have 24-spine (diff end) halfshafts in my front axle - not sure which ones these are as they were on it when i got it.

The diff end spline is approx 1.24" in diameter but the shaft tapers down to 1.06" (10 spline shaft size?) in the middle section for most of the length of the shaft before going back upto size where it goes into the swivel.

Is this normal? I thought 24-spline shafts would be 1.24" along the entire length, reducing the diameter seems intentionally weak, i'm surprised i haven't broken them yet.. (35"s, front ARB)

Shafts should always be necked down at the end of the splined section. Removes stress risers and is the proper way too make them.

Tim

My Ashcroft 24spl rear one's aren't - well if they are it's a very slight taper and nowhere near as thin as 1.06"

By stress risers do you mean this reduces the risk of it twisting or failing along the splined part?

My Ashcroft 24spl rear one's aren't - well if they are it's a very slight taper and nowhere near as thin as 1.06"

By stress risers do you mean this reduces the risk of it twisting or failing along the splined part?

they are necked down Tom,

not easy to see by eye as it is a slight taper and the ends of the taper are blended, as Tim says this is to stop stress concentrations which will encourage the shaft to flex along it's whole length,

this is only one of many factors to take into account when designing shafts, some others are :

material

optimum diameters

shape ( stress etc)

heat treatment, balancing UTS vs elasticity

making the splines, cut or rolled, effects grain flow

'crowning' the spines, again to reduce stresses

They should be OK, we have sold about 800 rear shafts in the last 2 years and we have had back 3 or 4 broken, replaced under warranty FOC,

I think i'm responsible for most of the broken one's (sorry Dave :o) But it has to be said Ashcroft are an excellent firm to deal with. They stand by what they say, their products and services are first class and things arrive when they say they will.

As for the STD 24 spline shafts i'm surprised you have not broken any running 35's, They usually go off where they are smaller diameter going into the CV. Do you have a front locker? When I was using STD shaft I would refuse to use the front locker to reverse out of places for fear of breakage!