Cambelt Change

Badger_1

When I changed my cambelt on my Rover 200 I had great difficulty undoing the Crankshaft pulley nut in order to get the cambelt cover off. despite having a large leaverage bar I pulled the tendons in my elbow it was that tight.

Does the crackshaft pulley need to come off on the freelander petrol engines to change the cambelt and are they just as tight? Got a feeling mine was put on with an air power tool.

The timing belt sprocket stays on the crankshaft, but the pulley has to come off. Put a socket on the crank bolt and a breaker bar, disconnect the coil, and briefly spin the starter motor - this is usually enough to undo the bolt, but if it fails, then remove the tim cover on the back of the flywheel housing and jam the flywheel. You can then undo the crank bolt with a breaker bar.

How I did it here:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9652

Les.

The timing belt sprocket stays on the crankshaft, but the pulley has to come off. Put a socket on the crank bolt and a breaker bar, disconnect the coil, and briefly spin the starter motor - this is usually enough to undo the bolt, but if it fails, then remove the tim cover on the back of the flywheel housing and jam the flywheel. You can then undo the crank bolt with a breaker bar.

How I did it here:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9652

Les.

Great walk through Les thanks. Is it always best to change the tensioner with the cambelt and how many miles between cambelt changes?