Propshaft problem??

phil200tdi

Hi guys

I am experiencing a problem with the drive train on my 200tdi disco. The gearbox crunches into second but this doesn't bother me too much.

The problem is that when I lift the clutch, there seems to be a slight pause before drive is engaged. This occurs in any gear and is accompanied by what sounds like a shunting noise/clonk upon taking up the drive (difficult to explain). At first I put this down to the gearbox but now feel this may be the propshaft and or Universal Joint. Could any one recommend a good way to cure this or (if I am mis diagnosing) point me in the right direction...

Looking for best and Cheapest option!!

Cheers

Phil

first check your u'js, give your propshafts a good shake, use a prybar or screwdriver and check for wear, also what mileage has your truck done, might be wear in the first motion shaft. or transfer box, check the uj's first thoughm try it on level ground, chock the wheels and take the handbrake off, goodluck..

first check your u'js, give your propshafts a good shake, use a prybar or screwdriver and check for wear, also what mileage has your truck done, might be wear in the first motion shaft. or transfer box, check the uj's first thoughm try it on level ground, chock the wheels and take the handbrake off, goodluck..

Thanks for the reply. truck has done 113,000miles. What should I be looking for in terms of wear? mine is a 1992 200tdi, is there a UJ at each end of each propshaft?? read somewhere it may be different for some later models... cheers Phil

Hello,

Do as Python says, then remove the inspection cover from the rear of the transfer box. Take a look at the mainshaft splines inside the input gear.

This is a common source of the backlash and driveline shunt that you describe. It was fixed later by the factory by cross drilling the input gear so allowing oil onto the splines. My vehicle had a factory fitted splash plate, but that seems to be a rare random addition.

If you have significant backlash here, then ring Mr Ashcroft...

Best wishes

Chris.