Dickie seats

Luther P.Scarecrow

It can be done but having taken a set out, you need zillions of little brackets and things and it would be a fiddly job. You'd need to cut the trim panels too as the seat brackets come through the trim.

I always found the bins I replaced my seats with were a lot more useful :)

With the recent changes of the law regarding seat belts and kids etc, anyone know how these dickys fair?

Ivan

As far as I'm aware, they are completely legal.

Note that my 6 & 8 year old sit in the back regularly as do my friend's kids, and they've had Discos for about 10 years.

They were a standard original fitment and any change of law is not retro-active otherwise you'd have to take all cars built about pre-1965 and without any seatbelts off the road.

I don't think the laws are retrospective? I.e. you can't fit sideways seats in new vehicles (hence the 7 seat 110SW now on offer) but it is not suddenly illegal to use the 1983 110 which you have been using for the last 25 years, which would be daft...

Then again this is new Labour!

As far as I'm aware, they are completely legal.

Note that my 6 & 8 year old sit in the back regularly as do my friend's kids, and they've had Discos for about 10 years.

They were a standard original fitment and any change of law is not retro-active otherwise you'd have to take all cars built about pre-1965 and without any seatbelts off the road.

I asked the same thing a few months ago and found out that you can't put a booster seat on a side facing seat, so if the child needs a booster seat then they can't use them. Anyone else can use them

So unless your kids are taller than 135cm (4ft 5in) you are breaking the (rather stupid and pointless) law.

The only exceptions are:

There are three cases where a child between three and 12 years old may travel in the back of a car using no more than an adult seat belt:

* short and occasional journeys made for reasons of "unexpected necessity" (so not on regular school runs, but you don't need to worry if you are picking up a friend's child because he or she has been unexpectedly detained at work)

* two other children are already using restraints in the back seat, leaving no room for a third. (However, it would often be safer for the child to travel, in the front of the car, using the appropriate seat or cushion.)

* in taxis

In addition:

* Children under three may travel in the back of a taxi without a special seat or cushion, as mentioned above

* In old cars with no seat belts - children between three and 12 may travel in the back seat, though the Department for Transport points out that this is "not safe"

* Emergency vehicles, including ambulances and police cars, are exempt