Crazy Fuel

land rover newbie

When you drained the tank did you let the 'orange' coloured fuel settle out in a jar?

I have seen this with an old space heater i have that uses parafin. The orange colour is from rust corrosion in the tank. Allowed to settle for long enough the fuel turned normal colour

This thread just reminded me of something..

We recently had a peugeot which we'd had for about 8 months, during which time we'd only put regular diesel in (not sure what had gone in before as it was used as a taxi for a year before we had it)

It ran OK but it wouldn't rev very high, ran out of power about 1000rpm before the red line. Suddenly it got worse and would hardly go combined with lots of smoke, I swapped the fuel filter which was full of gunk, but that didn't fix it and the new filter gunked up. I ended up draining the tank on that and the fuel in there was orange (that has a plastic tank so no rust) I filled with fresh diesel and it ran perfect and rev'd cleanly up to the red line.

No idea what the fuel was and why it was like that 8 months and many tank fulls later? Once it was all running perfectly I sold it quickly!

I do know of a farmer who lives near by who was grassed into the police for using red in his road car, he was pulled 100 yards from the farm where they were waiting for him, they found traces of red in his car - it was about 50/50 white and red, they confiscated his car for 2 months then gave it back as they couldn't prove that he had used red on the road due to the fact that it leaves a trace and could just be leaving a trace in the white.

Don't worry too much about what it's been run on , I run a Citroen XANTIA on Kerosene with a small amount of oil for over a 100k. It actually run better on Kerosene then diesel! Don't ask where the Kerosene used to come from though. Later I got an HDI diesel that wouldn't run right on anything except for white diesel. Even red used to cause big problems. Old diesels are fine, just the new ones with electronics are not. Also i'm not suggesting you try it but the fine for using red in a private car, wasn't that high and it didn't use to be a criminal offence. Don't know. whether it's changed now though. I can't get cherry or Parafin anymore. In some areas most taxi's used to run on red, especially in a dockyard town! ;)

Mine was smoking a little, slackened the three bolts out, then used a big wrench to turn it anti-clockwise a bit. Bit of trial and error but it was hard to turn due to the pipes holding it in place.
Bit of advice, make sure that you always loosen off the injector pipes , they are making it difficult to move the pump, if you dont you might end up with them cracking as they will be under pressure!!. The pump has a rotation arrow on it showing the direction the pump moves, to advance move the pump in this direction to retard against the rotation of the pump, Blue smoke advance 1mm at a time, black smoke is too far advanced: so retard. always 1mm at a time. Terry