Knocking when reversing

Badger_1

I beleive this is a well known problem on freelanders. What is the usual cause of the problem when the car has a knocking noise when reversing?

Is it to do with the props, vcu or can it be a problem with the IRD or gearbox and how would you go about testing to decide which is the causing the problem.

have you bought one yet?

No at the moment I'm viewing about 2 per week and will know it when I see it I think. Just trying to find out as much as I can to minimise making any mistakes.

Seen a few advertised where the owners have been honest and revealed this problem but there will no-doubt be others who will remain silent. I can obviously listnen for knocks and bangs on a test drive but need to know a little bit more. i.e. does it only show up when cornering? reversing on lock? etc.

Having a VCU gone at a cost of £250 wouldnt put me off buying one if I was sure that was the problem but I would hate to find out after fitting one that the problem remained.

If there was a problem with the IRD wud it show as a knocking or rumbling going forward and backwards in a straight line for instance, and if it was quiet going back and forth and the noise only happened when circling in a full lock would this mean the problem was else where or cud it still be a problem with the IRD?

They say fore warned is fore armed so I'm doing as much homework as I can.

My thoughts...

:: VCU - test using the Tippex test

:: Propshaft centre mounts - "VCU mounts" - get under and flex propshaft up and down to see if you can get the propshaft to flex as far as the metal rings

:: Rear diff mount - usually the front/centre mount. Grab the propshaft near where it enters the rear diff and waggle. Visually inspect the rubber part of the mounting - shouldn't be chewed up.

:: CV joints - if clocking, drive around in tight circles with someone outside the car to identify which corner is duff

:: IRD is most likely to be a problem where there is a seized VCU so evidence of a repaired/replaced VCU might raise your suspicions. Mainily a problem with older models (late 90's)

Cheers

Blippie

Thanks guys. good tips. I have got as far as buying the haynes manual and have looked at a few. There are either probs with electrics, probs with head gaskets, high mileage, knocking sounds, or just too many owners.

When I finally find the one I'll let you know. There is one on my local doorstep with a knocking noise when reversing but having spoken to him he now wants £1500. Thought I could get it for £1000. seems a lot for a T reg with a short mot and problems.