Steel Rack Advice needed

bmhor

Anlge them back a degree or two, and add some vetical plates on the outer edge of each finger, to stop the pipes rolling off, about 100mm high.

I'd suggest 4 uprights, out of something like 80 box, or U beam. with a 150x150x10mm gusset under the back end of each finger.

Thanks for this Dave,

As the shelves are to be loaded with a forklift, I'm planning removable front stops to reduce the chance of a bundle snagging on the way on or off.

Bob

Just been putting some basic bending moment equations to this.

Just to clarify, the 1650mm is the base, the 1000mm are the shelfs to be stacked on and the 2700mm is the verticle support?

Also is the 1000kg load to be a point on the end of the shelfs or a evanly distributed load

80x80 box sounds a little excessive for 4 uprights depending what factor of safety you are building to. My quick maths sugests a single 1m horizontal shelf of 80x80x3 is capable of withstanding an evenly distrobuted load of over 1200Kg and thats without any form of gueset. Using just 2 supports made from 80x80x3 would give you a factor of safety of 2.4 for the shelfs. It begs the question, how much abuse will the shelf be subject to?

I should think you will want at least 4 supports to prevent the pipes from sagging and taking on a permentant bow.

What kind of budget is this being built to as a more efficent distrobution of stress would be rather than use box section is to make it out of a plate with a long guesset coming right from the upright support all the way to the front of the shelfs.

I would not make the catch plates on the end of the fingers removable.

They will be removed and never re-fitted.

Steve

Thanks for this input guys but I've just realised that I've talking pooooo.

The design is to allow 2 "bundles" of pipe each 1t on each shelf so 1 will probably be tight to the rear with the other split to the front.

Chris

"Just to clarify, the 1650mm is the base, the 1000mm are the shelfs to be stacked on and the 2700mm is the verticle support?

Also is the 1000kg load to be a point on the end of the shelfs or a evanly distributed load"

Apart from my "error" above, yes

Steve

The pins not going back "should" not be a problem as there's only 2 people who work there and they're both aware of their vulnerability when they split a pack..

I'm guessing from your calc's Chris that if i went to 80X120x3 box with an overlap joint to the upright and gusset plates at 150x150 and 4 supports that should do the job?

How about tying them together or leave them free standing?

Bob