300tdi power loss

driving home yesterday the engine power seemed to die when accelerating up past 60mph in 5th gear ( and otheres if you hold it in gear) you can feel the car decelerating quite quickerly and it produces lots of black smoke out of the exhust. but if you declutch and let the revs die back and start driving again it is okay again untill you do it again.

any ideas to what is causing it. it is a 300tdi out of a discovery into a 1990 TD 90 and none of the egr system is connected

thanks

Don't worry about anything related to fuel.

Your problem is the lack of air or it's the egr system.

You say "non of the egr system is connected" but not I'm not sure if this means the egr is removed altogether or it has just a blanking plate between the egr valve and and the exhaust manifold. If the latter is the case, check that plate didn't get burn and has a hole in it. If the egr valve was removed then you don't have to worry about this.

Regarding the lack of air I suggest:

- check and replace the air filter

- check all the air hoses for interior delamination, air leaks when under pressure etc.

I reckon cipx2 might have nailed that with the delaminating intake piping... if it was the air filter I'd have expected it to be more of a constant effect rather than a sudden one once you've built a modicum of boost.

Cheers,

My 300tdi Disco was doing exactly what AndyEvans described the day I bought it. The only difference was the speed at which this was happening, a bit short of 70 mph in my case.

The next day I checked the air filter, found it a bit deformed, changed it, went for a test drive it and ... job's a good'un.

Given the price of an air filter, it worths replacing it if it's not fairly new. It will be one thing less to worry about.

The idea is to check everything between the air intake and the cylinder head: air filter (skip the next hose and turbocharger) > hose > intercooler > hose > air intake manifold > gasket.

A turbo pressure gauge would evidence a more or less sudden drop in the air pressure if connected to the intake manifold.