Rear Floor Removal - Part 1a

SteveRK

Quick update for owners wondering what goes on underneath the floorboards :unsure:

So far not toooo bad. I have removed the 'intermediate' floor support cross member as from new it is only 'just' welded at each end to the outer side floor panels and had rotted away in this area. The intermediate support (shown removed) and front cross supports sit onto rubber insulators riveted to support brackets attached to the main chassis. A lot of the ledges that supported the floor have either rotted away or too far gone to be cleaned up so i have ground them off - gently as the undershield applied to the underside is a bugger for catching alight if you are not careful.

A previous owner had replaced the original steel fuel return and feed pipes with poor quality rubber hose so these have been replaced. Originally each end of the steel pipes were fitted with flexible hoses where they connect to the pump and filter etc. In the pictures the hoses are temporarily routed.

Once i have gone round the exposed edges to clean up i will then have no excuses but to tackle the rear crossmember :(

Phase_1a.pdf

HI, while you've got the floor out it's worth checking the triangular supports on the big round chassis crossmember.

There's a nice little rust trap on the RH one where the brake pipe clip is fixed (alongside your fuel filter)

If they're rotten you'll need to cut a flap in the sloped floor to get at them for welding.

Easy job once you've done that. Then just weld the flap back. It's under the carpet so no-one will ever know.

Good luck,

Bob

When I did that job on daughters RR I had to do extensive plating on the sides of the chassis hidden by the fuel tank, if you are doing the rear x member it has to come out anyway, hope yours isn't as bad as hers !

Are you sure?? We didn't touch the fuel tank when we did mine...... Other than to give it a clean before putting it all back together.