Wrong oil in wrong box

Yesterday i noticed that after doing 60 miles in my van that i had a red drop of oil on the underside of my transfer box. The oil seemed to be coming from the front flange. I was a bit miffed as i've just had both the gearbox and transfer box reconned.

It didn't bother me much other than thinking that i hope the flange seal sorts itself.

Today whilst sitting at work bored the penny started to drop.

I remember that whilst filling the gearboxes with oil, i had my 2 kids arguing in my ear, and fighting over who was going to help to undo the next bolt. It was quite funny really, but was obviously just enough of a distraction to me to fill the wrong box with the wrong oil.

Then i remembered that when i first took the van out after the rebuild, the gearbox was very tight and it didn't want to go into gear.

What an idiot !

So i will check tonight but i'm fairly sure thats what i have done wrong.

If i just drain the oils out and refill with the correct oil, will that be good enough or should i be flushing with anything.

Do the oils mix ok or will they turn to clay or foam ?

No worries about mixing, flushing not needed. Just let the oil drain as long as you can and preferably when the oil is hot(ish) - at least 20 mins if not a couple of hours or overnight.

Before dropping the oil undo the filling bolts, stick you finger in the box and check the colour. You might have had them right and the drips from the TC only looked red.

No worries about mixing, flushing not needed. Just let the oil drain as long as you can and preferably when the oil is hot(ish) - at least 20 mins if not a couple of hours or overnight.

Before dropping the oil undo the filling bolts, stick you finger in the box and check the colour. You might have had them right and the drips from the TC only looked red.

Ta.. Good plan checking before draining . will do that.

Was definately ATF on the transfer box as i remember tasting it.

EP90 tastes gastly as stinks. ATF is not pleasant and has got a much drier feel to it. :lol:

Best not try this at home .. but true none the less.

I'm also stupid enough to put the wrong oil in the wrong box, so its just about guaranteed that i will of done. :rolleyes:

If the main box is an LT77 then drop the oil ASAP otherwise it will destroy the front pump ........... the pump was only designed for thin stuff like ATF and gets most upset with EP90...........

Flushing the transfer box is not necessary ......... just allow it to drain for an hour or two and then fill with EP90 .......... or 75-90 .......... atf redilly mixes with EP so its not an issue...........

:)

Ian