Exhaust Manifold Q?

Phill B

As you know, on the Series the inlet manifold sits on the exhaust manifold.

I'm thinking of fabricating my own exhaust manifold from stainless steel.

Do the manifolds have to be joined or can I blank the inlet off?

Why are the joined?

They're joined to form a hot-spot to prevent carb icing and reduce the time the choke is needed.

The SII & IIa had a thermostatic flap, this was abandoned for the SIII. I believe ACR produce a tuned manifold that doesn't use the hotspot so you should be OK. From memory the inlet is effectively blanked anyway as there is no passage between the hotspot and the induction tract.

They're joined to form a hot-spot to prevent carb icing and reduce the time the choke is needed.

The SII & IIa had a thermostatic flap, this was abandoned for the SIII. I believe ACR produce a tuned manifold that doesn't use the hotspot so you should be OK. From memory the inlet is effectively blanked anyway as there is no passage between the hotspot and the induction tract.

Interesting. I'll blank it off and run it over the weekend and see how she runs

Interesting. I'll blank it off and run it over the weekend and see how she runs

Hi Hitting.

As far as I have discovered there should be no probs at all, it is a common thing to do, we use a thin plate stainless 0,5-1,0MM thick and a gasket on the upper side the important thing is to get the inlet manifold cold so that it does not heat up the inlet charge, that is fine during warm up but it saps out power when hot.

Good luck.

Kind regards

Ole.

PS if you are about to do a tubular manifold then I would not waist any time on testing this I would just go straight ahead and do the manifold.

Hi Hitting.

As far as I have discovered there should be no probs at all, it is a common thing to do, we use a thin plate stainless 0,5-1,0MM thick and a gasket on the upper side the important thing is to get the inlet manifold cold so that it does not heat up the inlet charge, that is fine during warm up but it saps out power when hot.

Good luck.

Kind regards

Ole.

PS if you are about to do a tubular manifold then I would not waist any time on testing this I would just go straight ahead and do the manifold.

That reassuring, thanks Ole!! ;)