Another vibration

A few weeks ago I changed the UJ's on the props as they were knackered, I changed the T-box at the same time, all has been well. Saturday I was pottering about hit the duel carriage way got to about 55MPH and got a vibration which I think is coming from the rear end.

I took it to a friends garage and on quick inspection he said it was the rear wheel bearing (this was without removal of anything) he said you can just see the disk moving, I had a look and the top of the disk moved about 0.5mm under pressure, and when we spun the wheel there was a clonking noise.

Anyway that was that, then yesterday I thought I would have a look myself, I jacked the rear up, handbrake off and in to neutral on the T-box. spun the wheel and got the clanging again, I then went under the motor (yes it was on Axel stands and a jack) and the noise was coming from the shaft in the prop there was about 3-4mm of free play when turning each end opporsite directions to each other.

Would this cause the vibration when driving? I don't know how they look inside to gauge what they do. I thought under pressure it would not move to make the vibration?

I do have a spare prop but dont know if its for the front or back as they seem very similar in length, any pointers please.

Mark.

Mark,

You have worn splines in your propshaft and that'll need replacing, although these don't vibrate but make a clonk taking up drive.

The loose wheel bearing should be attended to forthwith. This can cause vibration - it'll only be 1/2 a mm at the disc but far more at the tyre edge. On top of this as the bearing loosens (and it will quite quickly) the wobble in the disc will be pushing the pads back against the pistons and giving you spongy brakes.

Fix these two and if the vibration is still there then you'll need to keep searching, I'm afraid.

HTH

Mo