LED Lights

just to put my spanner in the works

i fitted 2 U2071W 15mm white 1w led from ultraleds 15mm side lights and they wiped the radio reception on my 07 defender and i had to remove them

they seemed to be sending a signal that the radio picked up :o

dan

How odd...

it's proberally the installed radio transmitter telling you to "buy more LEDs from UltraLEDs", it's a common know brainwashing technique used by many?

Ok, checked this, get the same set up. Case is earth, right = tail, middle = stop. Both get 12v (or 24 on this weird multimeter) if Stop and brake is on, or right get something only if tail light is on and stop gets something if only the break is on.

1. What age/model of vehicle??

2. A 12v vehicle CANNOT give you 24v, you either have a duff multimeter or its not on volts dc range

3. Case is earth, right = tail, middle = stop. - This does not make sense - a standard 5/21w bulb has 2 pips on the base and the metal cap is the earth - wot is middle and right???

4. Post a pic of the led - have you got the right one?

5. Post a pic of the lampholder and where you are measuring the voltages.

6. I used to have led stop/tail lamps in my 300Tdi until 3 wks ago when i fitted full led NAS lights. The leds worked fine for 3 years so it can be done.

1. What age/model of vehicle??

September Reg 2007, PUMA 90

2. A 12v vehicle CANNOT give you 24v, you either have a duff multimeter or its not on volts dc range

I think the multimeter is duff / strange as I I understand this

3. Case is earth, right = tail, middle = stop. - This does not make sense - a standard 5/21w bulb has 2 pips on the base and the metal cap is the earth - wot is middle and right???

Sorry, this is in regards to the wiring setup on the plug. And yes Left = Earth, Middle = Stop, Right = Side

4. Post a pic of the led - have you got the right one?

Will do

5. Post a pic of the lampholder and where you are measuring the voltages.

Will do

6. I used to have led stop/tail lamps in my 300Tdi until 3 wks ago when i fitted full led NAS lights. The leds worked fine for 3 years so it can be done.

i believe you

ok, here is a picture.

As you can see, one is good one is not?

I have checked the other light 9the one that don't work) by connecting a wire to the case (earth) and one of the bumps on the bottom of the light. Either bump will make the light work (when the side light switch is on or the break is on).

However when both bumps are connected, the left to the stop, the right to the side light and the case to the earth, the light does not work?

post-4517-1205500119_thumb.jpg

Ok, got the multimeter on it.

The wires are set up like:

Left = Earth

Middle = Stop

Right = Tail

With the multimeter set up like above, with side light on I get +24v on the Tail wire, then with the break on I also get +24v.

Is this correct?

When I attach a battery to test the bulb with the earth connection to the bulb case and the potive connection to either of the 2 contacts on the base of the bulb I get exactly the same result - all the LEDs light up at maximum intensity. Surely this isn't right as the side light terminal should either result in a dimmer glow from all the LEDs or it should just illuminate some of them ie 6 out of the 12?

When I attach a battery to test the bulb with the earth connection to the bulb case and the potive connection to either of the 2 contacts on the base of the bulb I get exactly the same result - all the LEDs light up at maximum intensity. Surely this isn't right as the side light terminal should either result in a dimmer glow from all the LEDs or it should just illuminate some of them ie 6 out of the 12?

Yeah I get this with the bulb that don't work.

But the one that does work, just goes brighter if the side light is on, so it works it should. Overall it's allot duller then the one I am trying to fit. However, im just trying to get the bottom of why it don't work, as UltraLEDS say it does and there not cheap.

Sounds to me that the leds are duff.

With case earthed, 12v on 1 pip should make all leds come on full brightness (STOP), 12v on other pip will either make only some of them come on, OR all of them come on but at reduced brightness (SIDE). Thats how the led bulbs i had worked. If they don't work in a similar way to this out of the vehicle, they ain't gonna work in it!