Portal axles??

Steve 90

Right, Chewing over the new truck build and I really need to start sourcing the parts but still aint sure what to do about axles. If I do decide to go Portal (still need to decide on that yet) which are the best to start with.

I know absolutely nothing about portals so I'm at the mercy of the experts on here. Main things I need to know to start with are:-

Which are best? (E.g. Which have the best internals, are there issues with casings being week on some? Can this be easily strengthened? Which have the best internals? Which are easiest to get upgraded internals for iff needed? Which have the best/most reliable lockers? (Did Alan Kemp have trouble with lockers not disenganging).

Availabilty of decent disc brake kits as I really aint keen on drums and hopefully to take landrover stud pattern?

Width of axle? (drum face to drum face including disc brake conversion) dont wana get too wide.

Aproximate gain in height? Dont wana get too high.

Availability of parts?

Reliability of other parts (eg steering etc)?

Ease of moding steering setup (possibly go full hydro any way)?

what Overall final drive ratios are available?

I dont want to debate over weather Portals are the best thing to fit to the truck, I just want to know which one's I need, What I need to do to em and how much it'll cost if I do go down this route.

Cheers.

Steve.

Did you search? There is a lot of Portal info here already. Most of your questions have been answered.

Realistically you're looking at Volvos or Mog 404s. You can do anything you want to any of them. Depends on your facilities / inclination / budget.

You're looking at around 4 or 5 inches in vertical offset.

Cost depends on what you can do yourself.

Generally you don't need to worry about upgrading internals since the torque reduction due to the gearing in the hub protects the upstream components from high stresses. Especially for 'UK' style off-roading. Also, portals are generally found on larger trucks than Land Rovers.

I suggest you start by searching.

Cheers, Al.

:)

Thanks for the reply.

I have search'd, Found page's and page's of stuff, spent hours trawling through it but Largly irelevent or loosely related but not really answering what I wanted to know which is basically a comparison of the various types available, which is the best start point to go for, What are the problems with each one and whats available, what needs to be fab'd. I have the facilitys and ability to fab most stuff but time is very short so if there are quality parts available like the disc brake conversion etc I would prefer to buy and that way it gives me more time to spend on the other parts such as tube work etc.

As for internals I know of quite a few people who have broken shafts in portals. Im fed up of breaking axles myself and have lost confidence in my truck to the point that I worry about it through every event and try not to use it too mush between events to play which completely goes against the whole reason I built the truck in the first place.

I kinda had the feeling the choice would be Volvo or mog. Whats the pro's and cons of the two? Which are stronger etc? Disc brake conversion availability? Diff offset?

Cheers.

My 303s give an extra 6 inches clearance under the diffs, are easy to get a disc conversion for via Jez (flying spanners) and the conversion changes the stud pattern to standard LR rims. Diff offsets are fine for a standard LR drivetrain. They are also not that heavy... and contrary to popular belief not indestructable. ;)

Did not break shafts though, just diff and portal box.

I would imagine (no experience of MOG axles) the MOGs are heavier, stronger and at least one of the diffs is on the wrong side.

I went for 303 as they were the right width, diff location, not too heavy and are strong. The only time I broke them was playing hard... I never broke anything on the challenge events I did. Also I can't fabricate well so converting the MOG axles would have cost me a fortune in third party labour.

Richard

My limited understanding Steve. Note that this is all based on what I have gleaned from reading on here and elsewhere. I have no personal experience of either axle type so what follows may not be totally accurate :)

Mogs 404 vs Volvo C303:

Mogs are heavier and stronger (in standard form)

Mogs easier to source and cheaper (in standard form)

Mogs have no diff offset, Volvo are the same as LR.

Mog diff nose is very long and needs a drive flange adapator. Volvo's are a match for LR propshafts.

I think that Mog axles need "flipping" as the rotation is the wrong way round so castor will need addressing at the front.

Disc conversions available for both (SFS and HOFS)

Volvo ratios can be found HERE. No idea about Mogs.

Both will need significant rework to fit them under a LR.

Try a PM to Jez (dollythelw) for Volvo low down, but be aware he is a tad busy at the mo.

Bathtub or Moglite for Mog info.

You gonna give away your current axles then..? ;)