Rear drive flange bolt

Peterla

Is this the flange on the rear diff? or is it the flange on the transfer box(inside the handbrake drum), I can't tell from your description.

The nuts are captive(ish) on the handbrake end and I think you would have to remove the flange to replace them, any of the other flanges you can cut them off and just swap the position of the nut and bolt on the driveshaft/propshaft.

Nice to see someone from Barossa Valley, looking to rock up there in the next 6 months hopefully, how long does it take to drive into Adelaide?

Ahh, in that case I think you will have to remove the flange. The bolts have to be captive as you can't put a spanner on the back with the drum in place so you can't swap them around and you can't get the bolts in and out with the flange on.

The flange is torqued quite tight, so you will need to put the engine in 1st low (or 5th high, I get confused!) locked, with the handbrake on and preferably someone to put the brakes on, then undo the nut. It is a 32mm IIRC, the tools and fab section has a sticky on the different sizes, the actual nut is the same as the radius arms and the same thread if you want to get a spare/replacment.

Once you remove the nut the flange just slips out and you can pop the new bolts in, i'd put 4 new ones in at the time. The bolts are 3/8 unf IIRC, but are an awkward size (length and non-threaded area), so you might need to pre-order them.

Then just slip the flange back in and redo nut to hernia tight and you are done.

It will/might leak some EP90 when you take the flange out, so you might want to put some paper down or drain the transfer case first, replacing the seal is pretty easy while you are there if it needs to be done, I think we have a tech archive for it, but basically a 52mm socket is the right size to drive the new seal in.

OT:

50 mins, sounds OK, we thought maybe 40mins from the map, but it depends where from I guess, we were looking at Kapunda, Tanunda, Gawler or thereabouts. Does Barossa count as regional for teaching do you know, the wife is a primary teacher and we were wondering if there was more opportunities for her out away from central Adelaide. Current plan is to spend 6 weeks out there from about Sept time, depending on visa timescales.

Thanks for the advice.

We live half way between Gawler and Tununda. Kapunda is a bit more reginal and not in the heart of the valley.

It would take about 1 hour 20 to get to Kapunda.

Not sure what teaching reginal area spreads out to. Not involved in that industry.

Peter