Td5 clutch change - is engine out a practical option ?

dooroy

My 2001 Td5 had a pronounced vibration when started yesterday morning which could also be felt through the clutch pedal in that the pedal was pulsing slightly . I think the dual mass is on it's way out as I can't think of anything else causing this problem .

I had a 300 Tdi up to last Aug and when the fork failed on that I removed the engine to do the clutch .

I have an engine crane and good floor to work on .

Would anyone on the forum have done this particular job by removing the engine ?

I imagine the Td5 has a lot more electronics/wiring etc and would be grateful for advice as to whether taking the engine out would be a practical way of doing clutch /rear seal etc . Do the Td5's need a new fork ?

If the box has to come out I will probably get someone with a 4 post ramp to do it .

Any advice or suggestions very welcome .

Are you 100% sure it is not a misfire e.g. from the injector harness issue? This causes a "pronounced vibration" - plug it into a diagnostic and check the injector balancing which should be a giveaway if one is off the scale.

I have not done the job personally but I think it should be possible just a bit more to disconnect etc. The Td5 has a big cast fork which should not need doing (it is actually the same part no as a Series 3 fork!) but as always, inspect everything carefully and replace where in doubt.

The box would be easier to do in a Discovery but as you say it really needs a ramp and a transmission jack.