Rear sub-woofer speaker problem

Mikey

I have an intermittent problem with the rear door-mounted speakers on my 300Tdi. They recently stopped working so I removed the (non standard) CD unit and checked the wiring, everything seemed OK, but the speakers were still not working, however they started working again a short time later. After a few days the speakers stopped working again. This time I removed the rear speaker unit to check the wiring, that seems OK, but the speakers are still not working.

I was wondering if there are any other wiring connections somewhere in the bodywork that may have come loose.

I have an intermittent problem with the rear door-mounted speakers on my 300Tdi. They recently stopped working so I removed the (non standard) CD unit and checked the wiring, everything seemed OK, but the speakers were still not working, however they started working again a short time later. After a few days the speakers stopped working again. This time I removed the rear speaker unit to check the wiring, that seems OK, but the speakers are still not working.

I was wondering if there are any other wiring connections somewhere in the bodywork that may have come loose.

I can't give you an answer I'm afraid, but I will be VERY interested in this thread as I have the same problem and have never managed to get them working again.

There are three circuits to the rear sub. 12+v amp power taken from the head unit supply, (light green/orange wire at the amp, also a local earth wire which is black at the amp).

The 12+v amp switching wire (purple/yellow at the amp).

The audio signal cable (black & white wires in a screened cable).

A break or lose connection in any wire will stop the sound.

The colours may change but the circuits have not.

Good luck with your speakers Mikey. I have similar problem with the n/s door speaker (only got two doors) which has a habit of going on and off when you hit a pothole, and there of plenty of those around here at the moment !!!!!

I have checked and cleaned all the connections but it still has a habit of going off. Then it will be fine for a while. My usual method is to give the dashboard a clout just above the radio and with a bit of luck it comes back on . I have tried replacing the radio connectors without luck and have decided either there is a problem in the unit itself (unlikely) and to buy a new one or to rewire the speakers when I have a free day . The joy of a Disco !

Jules