r380 from Disco 300 tdi the same box as from a td5?

stobbie

I've broken my 5th gear on my disco TD5 :-( after 220000 miles of very heavy towing at high speeds...

Someone has offered me a R380 from a disco 300 TDI. Can I use this gearbox on my TD5 or should I look for a TD5 one?

No, you should look for a Td5 one.

Get the serial number from your gearbox. It's on the right side, under the the filling cap/bolt.

The serial has a prefix, first three characters, and a suffix, last character. I think they should be "77A" and "L".

You need to find a gearbox with the same prefix and suffix as the one on your Disco (a 300tdi one is a 55A suffix J).

Hi,

the TD5 disco is a 73A sx L, the 300 disco is a 55A sx J,

long story but you can't put a suffix J in a TD5 but you can put a TD5 in a 300 if you swap the input shaft,

I've allready made my mind up and I'm going to order an ashcroft box. Just not sure if I'm going to use the fitting service. I'm from Holland and have to collect some parts in the UK but I'm not sure if I can drive in 4th gear for another 600 miles....