300 disco heater plug light issues

Tomas4x4

I've seen a few posts on here about ignition coil light problems but not one like mine, if someones got the time to read my story and offer some advice, i would be very appreciative...

When starting up from cold the ignition coil light will stay on for approximately 1 second and no matter how many times i turn it, it will not stay on for longer. Once ive started the engine and it is warm it will usually stay on for longer (the length of time it should stay on for) ater a couple of attempts.

Its had new heater plugs put in a few months ago and i have also changed the heater plug relay (from a scrappy) that is attached to the fuse box.

Apart from thinking it may be faulty wiring im stumpt!

Any suggestions or has anyone come across a similar problem?

Cheers. Tom.

It is...

1996 300tdi commercial disco, manual r380, 92k miles.

The vehicle was flooded last summer, everything else is fine, except the central locking and this problem with the ignition coils. Its not having an affect on the running on the vehicle, but starting it up cold isn't doing it any favours, its just a bit frustrating.

Cheers. Tom.

the glowplug relay timer section controls the dash warning light, so I'd go for another known good or new relay & see if it cures the fault.

Thanks Western, ive ordered a new relay to be safe, so we'll see what happens!

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be inclined to check if they are actually switching off or not, either use a multimeter and check the voltage on the battery, it should drop a bit when the glow plugs are on, see if they are only on for 1 second like the light or see if they actually stay on a lot longer? or if you don't have a multimeter take one of the glow plugs out and use a jump lead to hold it and earth it to the negative pole of the battery, then get some one to turn the ignition on, then you can watch how long they are on for.

Do you actually need them on any longer? Lots of people with 300tdis boast about how they don't even need the glow plugs (I have the EDC model which comes on the Autos - that does need glow plugs)

Personally if all else failed you could just make up a new circuit with a switch on the dash and a relay to provide power to them