Stop solonoid

muddymanok

I have a series 3 with a 200Tdi out of a disco fitted, last year I had to replace the stop solonoid as the piston type thingy seased to work and the same has happened again last weekend, is this a common thing with these or is more likely to be due to the quite heavy vibrations I get on my S3 that has caused it to go ? If you've never had to change one, they're a right pig to get at, took me over an hour for what is a 2 minute job,

Cheers,

Nick.

Not sure why the 200tdi would be any different to the 300tdi but I've taken mine out a few times on the 300tdi and it's a 1 minute job. I removed the plunger and spring to bypass the stop solenoid, but on a manual pump you'll have to stall the engine to stop it.

Why is it hard to access?

The first time I removed it I couldn't find a big enough spanner (think it was 24mm) that was short enough, so ended up using a pair of mole grips. Since then I got some crows feet spanners which are a doddle to use on it.

The reason it was difficult was due to the bracket which holds the throttle cable that severely gets in the way, so I had to take that off first which was a pain in the ar5e because the bolts are allen keys and I could only turn it 1/4 of a turn at a time, but hey ho sorted now, thanks,

Nick.