Salisbury pinion

My Salisbury axle has a little play at the pinion when I apply a little pressure on the prop its also leaking some oil, does it need a new bearing or does it just need a new seal and retorque with a new crush spacer?

Gaza

My Salisbury axle has a little play at the pinion when I apply a little pressure on the prop its also leaking some oil, does it need a new bearing or does it just need a new seal and retorque with a new crush spacer?

Gaza

Gaza:

Once you have removed propshaft, drive flange and old seal you will be able to pull the outside bearing out and see if it is in good shape, as well as the bearing race. If both are good it is reasonable to assume that so are the inside bearing and race. If this play has not been going on for very long and you did not find milky oil you should be in good shape.

You will need to purchase a new collapsible spacer, oil seal gasket, a new pinion flange nut and, of course, a new seal.

Put it all back together, making sure the new seal has been pushed flush with the housing face so it will not make contact with the drive flange. Then, start tightening the new drive flange nut, alternatively measuring torque until you reach 34.5-46.0 kgf-cm (30-40 lbf-ft). Put the propshaft back in place and you are done.

Warning: In order to loosen the drive flange nut you will have to get creative because it is very tight.

Good luck.

Mucholodo122.

You can't do a Salisbury seal or bearing that way.

The pinion comes out from the back after taking the diff out.

What do you mean by play. Up and down or twist. Twist don't worry about it.

First thing to check. Is the breather clear. If not clear the breather and clean the oil off. Test to see if you've fixed it.

Oil level. Is it just below the filler plug level ? If too high again drop it to level. Clean and test.

If you have to do the seal.

Prop off.

Check both the pinion and the pinion nut for pop marks. If non pop the nut and pinion shaft to mark the position to each other.

Take the poinion nut off. Counting the turns.

Replace seal.

Refit the nut, counting the turns and tighten to the pop marks.

HTH

Where in Stockton are you. I'm in Norton.

mike

Thanks for the replies, Mike I am in Ingleby Barwick. The play is up & down or side to side. AFAIK the breather is OK and I havn't changed the oil for ages so not over full as its only recently started to leak, the oil is dirty oil colour so no water. I don't think its urgent yet but its on my to do list.

Gaza

That looks like new pinion bearings needed.

Who can you get to do that locally I wondert

mike

Can I do that from the pinion side or do I need to take the diff out?, so how difficult is it? I am not a mechanic but I get by.

Diff out on a sal needs a spreader doesn't it?

Gaza

It's not the spreadr. I understand you can do one without spreading the housing. How you get it back is what I don't know.

You will need

A micrometer to mike the collapsable spacer. Shims. and a lot of paitience. No doubt you could use a vernier calliper.

It's the pinion shaft preload that takes all the time.

It's a long long time since I did one. I don't want to do another.

Has nobody else ever done a Salisbury ??

mike