New member door and canopy questions

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a 110 Defender Pick up (single cab) I've never owned a defender and hope I have maneged to buy e decent one without to many problems? it has some rust in the bottom corners of the two front doors - hoping someone could reassure me that is reasonably easily treated and the best way to do it?

Also wondered if anyone knows if the canvas canopy and frame are worth anything to sell? they are in good condition and I need the dosh to buy an ifor canopy for the back.

Great forum - been really useful reading to give me an idea of what to look out for whilst looking for my new pick up.

Thanks.

post-8516-1207068245_thumb.jpg

post-8516-1207068273_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of landrover ownership... :blink:

When you say rust in the corner of the doors do you mean in the steel frame or on the ali panel? If it is just the frame then welcome to the club... most doors seem to suffer the same- if it is not too bad then I would recommend a really good coating of waxoyl to prevent the rust getting any worse... if it is particularly bad then the steel can be bought in preformed lengths and welded in... not the easiest job but a good long term solution. Post a picture of the door problem and people can then give you some idea if the problem needs properly addressing or just waxoyling and ignoring!

I have no idea what the canvas rag top is worth? I am sure a grown up will be along in a minute to tell you...

Shrek

Nice looking truck, looks suspiciously like an ex Royal Marines troop carrier.
Jim we have exactly the same type at work that the medics run round in :ph34r: hardly any miles on the clock either :blink: any idea where this one came from GM110?? Oh and jim when you passing Lyneham next as i have a pressie :lol:

Thanks, I'll get a picture of the doors up asap!

The defender is and ex air force vehicle - 80,000 on the clock, so not to heavily used - not sure specifically what it was used for - the guy who sold it to me said it was based at an airport just running people short distances (but then he would say that)

Guest diesel_jim
The defender is and ex air force vehicle - -

Ahhh... probably never done a hard days work in its life. i bet the cab smells of Pimms/G&T too! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, I'll get a picture of the doors up asap!

The defender is and ex air force vehicle - 80,000 on the clock, so not to heavily used - not sure specifically what it was used for - the guy who sold it to me said it was based at an airport just running people short distances (but then he would say that)

don't listen to Jim about the smell as he is only jealous you have a landy that drives and his is still in bit's :lol::lol: most ex MOD vehicles get drivin in a certain way and that is "drive it like you stole it" :ph34r: as for the doors i would do as someone above mentioned and like i have done, take trhe door cards off and get at the rust with a rust treatment prouduct and then i coated mine in a plastic type paint that we use at work or waxoil. Also i think for the rear canopy it's a bit of a lottery your best bet would be stick it on ebay ;)

Cheers, will remove the door cards get rid of the visible rust and treat with somthing or other.

The smell of pimms is coupled with the smell of brylcreem and pipe smoke :lol:

now come on thats a bit of a harsh statement we use vo5 styling gel these day's not that i have much hair :lol: good luck with the door's