no drive unless diff lock on

Dirty tire

i recantly had my 110 landi stolen off my drive :angry: and a good friend offered me there 1992 disco for free but i would have to get an mot on it. i knew it needed some weldding in the boot (not a problem). i was also told that the cv joint was broken in the front axle the only problem is i dont know how to figure out what the problemis is. i have no drive unless i lock the diff. now i am sure it is he front axle that is the problem. i was told if i jack up one of the front wheels and roll it back and forth i should see the prop shaft move back and forth if it doesnt move then then that is the duff side. the only problem is i have tried this on both sides and there is no movement in the prop shaft. can anyone give me any help as to how i should diagnose what to look for befor i start to strip the axle. many thanks . 1992 200tdi discovery :lol:

hi. can you jack the car up and put it on axle stands? all 4 wheels. then put it in gear with the engine running without diff lock and see whats happening, i would do this gently. just enugh to spin the wheels. im thinking you have a problem in your transfer box. but im no expert. just trying to help. :unsure:

Guest WALFY

To get drive only in diff lock points to the CV failure you speak of. If it's broken all the drive will take the path of least resistance. In theory there is no load on that CV so less resistance, diff lock in will equal the drivefront/rear and then you have drive. I'm surprised you can drive it very far with a broken CV. They normaly break up and jam if you drive to far with them in that state. Lift the front axle a wheel at a time and try and rotate each wheel in turn. You'll either fel or hear if something is wrong.

HTH

Did you jack up 1 wheel at a time? If you did and the prop didn't turn then your diff is shot, or both half shaft are busted or both CV joints are busted....

If you turn 1 wheel and the prop turns then that sides CV is ok.

Regards

wizard

cv joint is shot.

both of my disco's have had the smae problem, however, lifting one wheel and turning didn't highlight which one it was. only definitive way of checking is to strip them down.

you should be able to see if its broken up by taking the outer drive flange off and peering inside