12 j into series three

austingipsy

I am trying to put a 12j, actually 11j, but same thing I think, into my series 3. Anyway it is out of a 90 and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction to find some pics or a blog on fabricating or welding the chassis mounts for this engine. I have an 88 with the2.25 petrol.

Hope someone can help

With old engine still in support it with a jack & plate under sump, remove battery box and RH chassis mounting & engine bracket. Clean up chassis area for welding new mount. Fit 11J RH engine bracket to existing engine with original type rubber mounting and upside down 2.25 engine bracket. Tack weld original engine bracket to chassis. Remove 2.25 lump. Fully weld and reinforce the so created chassis bracket to the chassis. Now you are ready to sit the 11J in the chassis.

Oh, battery will need relocating to possibly under the passenger seat.

Thanks for that, I was going to beg borrow or steal a bit of a 90 chassis, but yours is a much simpler and neater solution. Engine is already out so I will probably do the timing belt etc. and take the pump off and line it up that way. Anyway thanks for that, now I can get on.