Auto transmission oil change on a Tdi 300 Disco

thebiglad

Hi all, I have a '98 Disco Tdi 300 auto and want to do a gearbox oil change. Last time was nearly 2 yrs ago and 15,000mls. The change quality is just starting to go off slightly, so I thought I would change the oil and see what happens.

What I need to know is, what's the difference between D11 and D111? My handbook says D11 but that was printed in '97.

Is D111 just an updated version or is it something completely different that I shouldn't use.

D111 is readily available but can't find any D11.

All comments welcomed,

Cheers

Dave

Hi all, I have a '98 Disco Tdi 300 auto and want to do a gearbox oil change. Last time was nearly 2 yrs ago and 15,000mls. The change quality is just starting to go off slightly, so I thought I would change the oil and see what happens.

What I need to know is, what's the difference between D11 and D111? My handbook says D11 but that was printed in '97.

Is D111 just an updated version or is it something completely different that I shouldn't use.

All comments welcomed,

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

I use D111 in ours (96 & 97 Disco).

Regards

Keith

Hi,

I use D111 in ours (96 & 97 Disco).

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith, I'll get some today.

Just as a matter of interest, when you drain the box, how many litres come out? I ask this because I've heard that the box capacity is 9 ltrs, but only ABOUT 5 comes out, as the rest is held in the torque converter??

So how do you ENSURE that you've got ALL the old oil out? I'm old school and I like to get rid of all the old carp oil when I do an engine oil change so I use flushing oil. I suspect I can't do this on the auto box.

Someone said you empty out the 5 ltrs, then refill, then drive for about 500 mls, then empty and re-fill. Surely on that basis you just end up with "watered down" new oil, rather than completely new stuff. I may be looking into this in more detail than neccesary - I often do :blink::huh::rolleyes:

Use a measuring jug to drain the old oil into less than 5 will come out, clean out jug and put exact same amount back in again and go for a drive then repeat and it should be pretty clean, measuring what comes out makes life a lot easier and takes all the guess work out of it and saves a lot of time.

Wife has had a couple of mercs and they also have a drain bung on the torque convertor.

Lynall

You can't get all the oil out unless you remove and drain the torque converter, which means taking the gearbox out. This applies to all automatics.

The Dexron III we use is Shell Donax TX which is fully synthetic. Their equivalent Dexron II is Donax TA, which is a mineral oil. The synthetic has better heat resistance for one, which is good in the LR ZF boxes, especially if you tow heavy stuff like horseboxes.

All comments welcomed,

Cheers

Dave

i take it your changing the filter too?

For the price of a filter you may as well. There are seals and the likes in there too and knowing what LR seals are like there bound to weep or the like.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_...ervice_Kit.html

To be honest I wasn't planning on changing the filter as well.

My thinking is that it's a wire mesh screen rather than a filter as such, so it will stay, but the oil needs to go !!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DiscoTD4

I'm about to do a filter and ATF change on mine and I'm wondering if turning the engine over would help fling out a few more litres of ATF from the TC ?

:unsure:

I'll report back when done