V8 classic hates petrol

muddy watt

Well its at it again this time I drove from home 16 miles to fill the LPG then the rangie wont start

It starts on petrol then switches to LPG but it wont start at all so got the AA out and he says its definitely no fuel getting to the engine he checked the spark plugs and they are OK and the battery has a good charge and turning the starter motor no problem.

He used some spray in to the AFM and the engine wants to start but it cant

I checked the AFM and the flapper was a bit sticky so I changed it but it hasnt helped with the problem.

I am wondering if the company I bought my fuel pump sent the wrong one I ordered a high pressure one for EFI but am wondering if they sent me a carb one would that account for it starting on petrol but being rough then dying if not put on to LPG

Also replaced both relays buy the EFI with new ones

OK

Is it no fuel getting to the engine, or no fuel being injected?

There may be another way to test, but here goes.

With a cold engine and the ignition off, slacken off the fuel pipe going to the 9th injector on the plenumn chamber. Carefully prise the pipe off, watching out for fuel spray. Direct the hose into an empty jar.

Remove the air filter to give access to the front of the AFM.

Get someone to sit in the car and turn the ignition on. If you move the flapper the fuel pump should start and you will get fuel out of the hose.

That will prove fuel to the engine or not.

Does it run ok on LPG when it is started?

My favourite fuel test is to splice a clear inline filter (£1 from most motor factors) into the return line (from the pressure regulator), then you can see fuel flowing back to the tank which tells you the pump's running. It also gives an indication the regulator is working, which flow from an open hose won't do as having the wrong pump would produce flow but not enough pressure and you'd get no return past the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...